Syncing Contacts after cleaning up from Gmail?Support

Last Updated:

1. Bard09

Bard09 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

New EVO/Android user here, but I'm pretty tech savvy. I recognize that the HTC EVO doesn't have the "Sync Groups" option on some other HTC Sense phones, where you can sync specific contact groups from Gmail.

So from my research in this issue, it is the "My Contacts" group that gets synced over to phones, yes?

Provided this is all correct, here's my issue:

When I set up my phone it originally synced all 100+ contacts in my "My Contacts" group. Once I did the research & understood how this worked, I went back into Gmail and audited my contacts. Now I only have about 20 users in the My Contacts group-- the users I want to show up on my phone.

However, now that I'm running a Sync on my EVO, the 100+ contacts are not reducing down to the 20 that I selected for the "My Contacts" group. In short, it doesn't appear to be genuinely syncing the group changes that I made on the Gmail web client.

Can anyone advise me what I need to do? Shouldn't the syncing be two-way, as in any changes I make to my contacts on Gmail be showing up on the phone?

Little stuck here... hoping it's an easy fix. I do not want to have to run a contact remover application if possible, because that's indicative that there's not a genuine sync-- something I really hope should be taking place!

Advertisement
  2. jproxx

jproxx Member

+1 my contacts doubled and sometimes tripled w/facebook, google, and phone.

3. Bard09

Bard09 Member This Topic's Starter

I should clarify-- I'm not having any contact doubling issues. I'm just not seeing my Group changes on Gmail proper sync up with my EVO.

If I've reduced the My Contacts group from 100+ contacts to ~20 with the Gmail web client, shouldn't that be reducing the # of contacts I see under People when I do a contact sync with Gmail?

4. sitlet

sitlet Banned

You can link the contacts, so one contact will include the google, phone nand facebook.

5. Berner

Berner Well-Known Member

Clear out the contacts on your phone (search market for "Contact Remover") then re-sync and see if that gets you where you want to be.

6. custm-1

custm-1 New Member

I have been searching and searching for this problem, but every one seems to dodge the actual question when it is asked.

How do you sync only certain contact groups from gmail to the EVO???
    I don't want all my gmail contact to show up on my phone, this is why I catagorized everyone that I wanted in my phone as "My contacts"

The Epic does this seemlessly, why can't EVO do it???
    Even my old BB did this!

Am I missing something really simple or is there an app that will do this?

7. takirb

takirb Well-Known Member

Can't help here, but just wanted to add, i hate the way the Evo syncs contacts, causes more harm than good. Would much rather just export my phone contacts, then import the file back if needed and have nothing sync to/with my gmail accounts...

8. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I have had no reason to do this but will look into it tomorrow if time permits.
    have you checked out the settings under people where you can exclude contacts without phone numbers etc?

like I said tho...will look into it more tomorrow if time permits

9. evoX2

evoX2 Well-Known Member

From what i understand you used to be able to sync certain groups pre-froyo but i believe that option went the way of the dodo. If im wrong im sure someone will come along and correct me. As for an app im not sure about that

10. custm-1

custm-1 New Member

Thanks Mr. Ed, Yea I've been all through the settings in the people app. You're right it does have a sync with only phone numbers and I do use that option which helps somewhat but I still have several people in my contact lists with phone numbers that I don't want in my phone. That's why I have these people opted out of "my contacts".

Does anyone know if Evox is correct on the later version having this option? I was thinkning of rooting the phone anyways so that I could use the teathering and from what i've read is that I have to downgrade to 2.1 to do this.
    Is this not a good idea? Any thoughts?

I've also been thinking of going with the CyanogenMod ROM. From what I've read so far I think they have the syncing option I need but then I loose the 4g and HDMI. I don't care about the HDMI and right now I don't have 4g in my area anyways, but it sucks that I am paying the $10/month for 4g then if I go somewhere that has coverage I can't use it.

11. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

and for the record...the $10 is not a 4g fee ....it's their solution to the excess data our phones use. Much better than tiered data imo