• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Syncing Facebook Contacts in FroYo

Hi.
I wasn't certain which forum to post this in but since the issue is on my Hero I decided here was a good bet.

Sorry if I've missed a thread already asking this, but I have recently flashed my HTC Hero with FroYo (VillainROM Froyd).
I have logged into my Facebook account and enabled contact syncing only for contacts already in my address book.
Most of my contacts were synced with FB back in 1.5 so have the "<sn>id..." bit already in the notes, but it seems this has no use now. Only contacts who have their phone numbers published on facebook (so maybe 10% of my friends) are linked. I can enable all Facebook contacts to sync but that just adds 560 people to my contacts and still doesn't link the google contacts on my phone.
Unlike in 1.5 there doesn't seem to be any option to manually link a contact with their FB profile, unless I'm missing something.
Anybody got any advice?
Thanks, Martin

Really, this should be in the All Things Root section, since it's a custom ROM we're discussing. So I've moved it across for you.

The normal froyd facebook sync doesn't work for me if I don't have them listed by the exact same name. But, if it's only pictures you're interested in, an app called SyncMyPix will sync them all for you.

Upvote 0
Really, this should be in the All Things Root section, since it's a custom ROM we're discussing. So I've moved it across for you.

The normal froyd facebook sync doesn't work for me if I don't have them listed by the exact same name. But, if it's only pictures you're interested in, an app called SyncMyPix will sync them all for you.
Ok, I've tried changing the names but that didn't appear to make any difference. The photos is the main reason I want the sync so I'll try SyncMyPix, thaks for the tip ;)

Upvote 0

to manually link the contacts first

go to your contacts
press menu
Display options
view all facebook and all googlemail

Then to link the contacts
click on one with a phone number
press menu
press edit
press menu again
and then press join
select the facebook contact you want to join it with

Its a pain in teh arse but its the only way! (other than changing contact names, which takes just as long)

hope that helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones