• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

syncing files over slow wifi

Greetings everyone,

I'm travelling and needing to regularly sync files (photos) from the external SD card to my macbook. Kies Air will let me do that via the File Explorer tool, but it is clumsy to have to either select all files, or painstakingly slow to individually select files based on date and I may be overlooking some. Plus, the wifi I am connecting via tends to be incredibly slow (e.g. at a motel and shared by numerous other visitors) so it could take 2 or 3 minutes to transfer each 2MB file!

So 2 questions: what's a good sync tool, maybe something that is doing an rsync type of thing underneath so I can just get the changed files from a particular folder on the phone to a specified folder on the mac. Second, is there a way of creating a direct connection between the phone and mac rather than going via wifi?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
Roger

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones