syncing gmail contact groupsSupport

Last Updated:

1. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Active Member This Topic's Starter

i have all of my contacts saved to the phone, deleted all contacts saved on the sim. i now saved everything to google contacts, and even after saving some in various groups, i cannot get the groups to sync over to the vibrant. all of the contacts sync'd perfectly, but not the groups. i even tried making new groups using different names than the generic google group names. if i display contacts from both the phones memory and google contacts, then it will show me the groups i've selected. help please. thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. masterotaku

masterotaku Active Member

It appears that the contact manager only supports groups when created on the phone.

One solution that worked for me is a market app called Groupy. It allows you to create groups and move contacts into those groups, even if they are gmail contacts. Took me a few minutes to recreate my gmail group layout.

neanderthaler likes this.
  3. neanderthaler

thanks master, i just downloaded groupy and it did organize nicely to one place on my home screen, but i think i'd really like to clear up the clutter from having to display my contacts from the phone and google at the same time. i'd prefer to only save the google contacts and THEN use my google groups. my problem is that (without groupy) my google contact groups won't sync with the phone.

4. neanderthaler

i should've said - why can i only display groups from the phone contacts OR why can't i display google contact groups

5. fporter

fporter Member

I've been frustrated with Contact Group sync as well. The stock android 2.1 contacts app doesn't support Groups sync'd from google. I've installed three 3rd party apps
    Groupy
    GangBook
    Contact Group Manager
    After installing these apps it became apparent that the group info is sync'd from google to android as the apps were populated with my google groups and correct contacts were in the groups. Each app has different pro's and con's.

One shortcoming of all three is when creating a new contact the stock android new contact form is used and its not possible to assign the new contact to a group at that point.

Android feels so half baked compared to the basic PIM functionality I had out of the box with my PalmOS PDA 10 years ago.

6. Tur Han

Tur Han Member

Hi there,
    I have to tell you that a very annoying stuff on Android is to manage your contacts and especially your groups of contacts. I think it is a big missing feature of Android.

But fortunately, there are some developpers out there that fill the gap :)
    Indeed, I would like to introduce you the application called "Group Manager" (by Tur Han => https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobappli.groupmanager) which is an android application that gives you the ability to create or to update any google groups for any of your google accounts. Furthermore, "Group Manager" also allows you to send a group mail for a given group and this is so usefull !!! And of course, all your groups are automacally synced with your google account.

★ Features ★
    ▷ User friendly application
    ▷ Unlimited group creation/update
    ▷ Easy contacts picking
    ▷ Fast saving
    ▷ Sync with your google account
    ▷ pro version : group mail sending
    ▷ pro version : enhanced search bar
    ▷ pro version : select/deselect all your contacts with 1 touch
    ▷ pro version : filter management (various filter to dynamically display what you need)

Go and try it, you really won't be disappointed :)
    link to the market : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobappli.groupmanager