1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Syncing Hotmail questionSupport

1. boz81

boz81 Member

Hi Guys

Quick question about email syncing (not gmail)
    So i setup my hotmail account without using the 'premium account settings' and it works fine. I'm guessing it works by every 5 minutes it downloads and messages from my inbox.
    Now this works fine but doesn

Advertisement
    :
  2. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

I have my free hotmail account synced in my phone.

Firstly, your phone will "poll" your email account using SSL, to find out more in this just google SSL.

Secondly if you load your email and see the contents if your inbox, press the options button in your phone, (left hard button, not touchscreen) and select account settings from the menu. Here you can change how often your phone updates your inbox.

There also an option to set the account to delete emails from the server when you delete then via your phone. Although I'm not sure if this actually works on a free account.

If you change your password on a pc, your phone won't be able to poll your account it'll the phone is updated with the new password.

The email app will poll the account at an interval you specify, so if set for 15 minutes, at 3pm the app will poll your account, then it will be idle until 3:15 when it checks again, and so on.

The data downloaded when the email app polls is minimal, just an update to the counter to show you if there is anything new. If your in the inbox view then you get what you see, sender/subject info. When you open the email, that entire email is downloaded, I believe.
    boz81 likes this.
  3. boz81

boz81 Member

Thank you XplosiV, a very detailed and useful response. I've been fiddling about with the settings now and figuring everything out.

One more question though if you don't mind: What are the main differences between the normal and premium account...? And is there a way to import your hotmail contacts without a premium account?

4. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

I don't have a premium hotmail account do I'm afraid I can't help you on that one.

As to importing contacts, you might want to look for a way to export them into something like a .csv or .vcf file that can be copied to your SD card and imported via the contacts tab in the dialer.

Or if you have the time, make a QR code for each contact and use a barcode app to scan them into your phone
  5. wojtek81

wojtek81 New Member

Hi just go to email program and enter your hotmail inbox. Now press the menu button and select account settings. Now scroll down to incoming server settings. Located at the bottom is delete from server. Select the drop down box and select when deleted from inbox. Thats how it is on samsung galaxy s2.

Regards
  6. jimlad

jimlad Well-Known Member

my personal view is, if you want to have a google phone and maximise it then you wanna switch fully over to gmail, for contact use and everything else, i know you can have both, but i faded out my other emails, and it makes life sooo much easier,
  7. boz81

boz81 Member

yeah was thinking of doing that, what was the easiest way to swtich for you?
    I have a lot of contacts that i don't want to have to email saying 'this is my new addres' Also a lot of logins to website are using my hotmail account so seems llike a lot of hassle but i would like to do it.
  8. heshanj

heshanj Well-Known Member

im afraid i dont think there's any easy way of letting ur contacts know about ur change.. but its worth it, android's integration with everything google is the best thing i love about my new phone.. although, u CAN sync calendar/contacts from hotmail with ur phone too.