Syncing only My Contacts in Galaxy S3?Support

1. sasquatchbill

sasquatchbill New Member

Hey gang -

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I just spent an hour searching, no no avail, and it's driving me mad.

I have a Galaxy S3, and a Gmail account. I want to EITHER filter all contacts without a phone in Messaging, or just simply sync ONLY My Contacts into the phone to begin with.
    Unfortunately, I seem to be stuck with filtering only the contacts with phone numbers from the settings in Contacts - but the entire list (2000+) of gmail contacts still shows up in the Messaging contacts list.

This seems really stupid - why the hell would anyone want their entire Gmail contacts list in their phone Messaging? At the very least, there should be an option in there to filter it too.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance for ya help!

Advertisement
  2. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

If you use a SIM, you can use those contacts.

I just looked at my files for the heck of it. I found I can read .vcf files on the computer, and I can tell my Samsung Nexus S where to look for the contacts - so I can edit the vcf files and restore from there.

I refuse to sync with Google.
  3. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Hey Sasquatchbill!
    Welcome to AF!!
    I moved your thread here so others with your device can help ya!
  4. sasquatchbill

sasquatchbill New Member

Thanks Mike. Didn't think it was really a device specific thing so I didn't post it there, but maybe that's the right way to go!

Zuben - the problem is that I DO sync with Google. I'd say a large majority of users with Google accounts would do so, so I'm surprised this doesn't have an answer. Thanks for replying, though!
  5. Mikestony

No problem! I need to start learning this phone as I will be getting one shortly :p
    I'm not sure I follow what you want to do.
    You have 2000 contacts...some with phone numbers and some with just info (no phone number)
    You just want the contacts with phone numbers in your phone?
    Why would you want the contacts without phone numbers in your messaging? The text messaging?
  6. sasquatchbill

sasquatchbill New Member

Yeah - I DON'T want those contacts w/o phone numbers in my messaging. Google insists on syncing them. When you click on the 'add contacts' button on the phone, it shows ALL contacts you have in Gmail - the 2000 or so I have - and I don't want it to.

The list of Messaging contacts seems to be filtered differently or whatever from when you actually click the Contacts app. The Contacts App only shows people with phones, but my Messaging Contacts app (ugh this is confusing!) shows ALL contacts. Hopefully that's clear? :p

So - I want to either
    a) Filter the contacts displayed in Messaging Contacts, or
    b) Only sync the group 'My Contacts' from Gmail (which is people with phones) to my S3, which I presume will clear out the unneeded contacts from the Messaging Contacts list.

:p It's amazing how hard this is to explain - Contacts, Messaging Contacts, My Contacts, contacts... they're all different things! Blecch.
  7. Mikestony

lol, no worries :)
    o.k...I'll take a stab at this....in your messaging app, can you pull up options for it, and select an option called, oh I dont know, "show only contacts with phone numbers"?

I know I have a different device, but I use GoSmsPro available in the play store and it DOES have that option to show only contacts with phone numbers. I mean, why would I want a contact in my messaging app that only has a home phone, or a contact with just an address/email right?