1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Syncing problem with facebook contactsSupport

Last Updated:

1. KristianEide

KristianEide New Member This Topic's Starter

I have the Samsung Galaxy S i9000. I am trying to sync with my facebook contacts by adding a facebook account in the settings menu. All my google contacts are successfully synced with the phone. They are appering in the phonebook with a google icon. However when I try to sync with facebook, the contacts end up in the phonebook under a group called "Unknown". The icon is green with a white head. There is no Facebook group. The phone links this group with my google contacts. The problem is that these facebook contacts should appeare with a facebook icon and I should be able to see my contacts activities and media. it only says link contact under these tabs.

I have installed facebook for android from the market.

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

3. stuckedinsweden

stuckedinsweden New Member

NOW I have the solution!!! TAA DAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
    At least it worked for me!

Removed facebook app and facebook account from Settings-Account and Syng...rebooted phone.
    - Enabled Wifi
    - Went to Settings-Account and Sync.
    - Added facebook account again with SNS settings (syns interval) set to once a day.
    - Made sure I saw the two arrows in the white cirkel spinning around indicating sync.
    - Held my finger down to the home screen for 2 seconds to add a Android widget - Power control.
    - Enabled Sync (the two arrows in the white cirkel spinning around indicating sync)
    - Went to Contacts.
    - Pressed Menu - Get Friends
    - Next screen showed me my facebook account- Pressed it
    - NOW I saw ALL my facebook contacts on my screen!
    - Clicked CHOOSE ALL and then syn/save
    - Checked in Contacts - Menu - Display Options,. that my Facebook account was checkmarked!
    TAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

4. soupmonster

soupmonster New Member

I'm having the exact same problem, but I don't want to use the SNS facebook sync. Is there a way to disable Social Hub / SNS? I'm assuming it's this that is causing the "unknown" group and those ugly green icons. I'm having the same problem with twitter sync as well.

5. nikok

nikok New Member

I'm having a similar problem and i'm a little confused with the facebook-syncing + pretty much everything else, let me explain:

Bought my Samsung Galaxy Gio last monday, been really excited with it. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i assume there is multiple ways to sync phone contacts via facebook account? There is the inbuilt facebook-sync which can be found under the 'Settings -> Accounts & Sync' + then there is one which comes with the 'facebook for android'. And i guess there is much more of these 'syncing'-services.

Soooo my first question is: why?

I find it confusing 'cos i'm able to sync simultaneosly with them both, but I can't recognize which one is the client and which one is the "integrated".

Secondly: neither of them works as they should.

I nowadays hold my contacts in the google contacts-service. I was glad to notice that i'm able to use those web-hosted contacts in my contact-list via my google-account (i assume they aren't copied on the phone at all, 'cos there is separate option for that, correct me if i'm wrong.)

Soooo the problem kicks in when i try to sync my facebook-friends with my google-contacts. With the integrated facebook-sync, they won't get merged, i have an horde of duplicates. And with the facebook-client-sync they get merged and fetch profile pictures, but they show this "Unknown"-group and doesn't show any facebook-content (updates, etc.).

I'd love to have my google-contacts and facebook-profiles synced smoothly, is it possible? If there is some megaUn1x-l1ke-hax way to do it, tell me. All I want is to keep my contacts in google-contacts and fetch profile pictures for them from facebook

6. nikok

nikok New Member

tried friend-caster's sync too, same effect as with the facebook for android-client.