Syncing student email account.Support

Last Updated:

1. 10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,
    I have a student email account for Virginia tech and I can't get it set up properly on my phone. Is there certain settings I need to use to get it to work? I don't really know a whole lot about POP3 and IMAP etc and would appreciate any help.

One thing I did notice is that when using microsoft outlook at school everything works fine. But when I go home I can still receive messages but cant send them. Im thinking its because my IP address isn't one on campus and that messes up something with the servers?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
  2. bexier

bexier Active Member

If you are using outlook at a school you might be on an MS Exchange Box. You can't set up POP on Exchange. And older versions of Exchange don't play nice with IMAP. Android does support Exchange, however it has been funky on the EVO. Droid X I can't say. But If you do find you are on an Exchange Box (ask IT at your School) then you can download a 20 dollar app called "Touchdown". It is super nice and sets up quick and easy.

If no exchange box talk to IT at your school and show them how you are setting it up. They may be able to show you what you are doing wrong.

10splaya22 likes this.
  3. 10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, Ill try that when I go back to school

4. Raryn

Raryn Well-Known Member

You don't need any $20 app.

If you use a web outlook site to access the email, theres a 99% chance you should be able to just set it up using the "corporate sync" account for free. Individual settings vary from school to school though...

5. cjcross22

cjcross22 Well-Known Member

I just made it to where it sends a duplicate to my gmail, so anytime I get an email on my student email it sends it to my gmail as well.

6. Sokudo Ningyou

Sokudo Ningyou Well-Known Member

I have a student email account that goes through Outlook web app too, and it was a bitch to set up on my phone, only because it doesn't work the way you expect.

A: You want it under POP.
    B: Find the protocol settings through the web app: I believe mine was pod51004.outlook.com. Use advance settings to put in the port as well, and check SSL.
    C: Your username? Is not what you log in with. For instance, I log into the web app with Studentname0000. HOWEVER: the username they want ended up being what Outlook calls your Windows Live ID, which you can find under your Account settings. Mine was STUDENTNAME000@students.myschool.edu. Username was all capitals, so that's how mine is entered. (Note: that is not my actual email, or anyone else's.)
    D: Outgoing settings are smtp. Set up as needed, use the same username. The protocol settings are on the same page as the POP settings.