Syncing your Mac Address Book and iCal with the EvoTips

Last Updated:

1. blake247

blake247 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Syncing Mac Address book and Calendar with Google

A free way to get your Apple iCal and Address Book synced with google. (Tested on 10.6)

To set up CalDAV support for Google Calendar in Apple's iCal, follow these steps:

1. Open Apple iCal, go to Preferences and then the Accounts tab.
    2. Click on the + button to add an account.
    3. In the box that pops up, enter a description for the account and your Google Account username and password.
    4. Under Server Options, add the following URL:

https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/YOUREMAIL@DOMAIN.COM/user

Replace 'youremail@domain.com' with the email address that you use to log in to Calendar. Make sure to include the '@domain.com' portion (which is @gmail.com for Gmail users) in this section.
    5. Leave the Use Kerberos v5 for authentication option unchecked.
    6. Click Add.
    7. Under the Delegation tab, select the calendars you'd like to add to iCal by checking the boxes next to them. You may need to hit refresh to get the latest list of calendars.
    8. Add your email address to your Address Book card by selecting Add Email. You'll be prompted to add your email address only if your address is not already in your Address Book.

To sync your Address Book with Google Contacts:

1. Open Apple Address Book, go to Preferences and then the Accounts tab.
    2. Check the "Synchronize with Google" box
    3. Enter your google account email and password.
    4. Contacts will automatically sync. Any changes on the mac or Evo should automatically update.

Advertisement
  2. skinnyguy

skinnyguy Well-Known Member

is that 2-way syncing?

and what if my address book does NOT have a "sync with google" box to check?

3. djdisturbed

djdisturbed Well-Known Member

yes its 2 way syncing

well, apple took out google syncing for a short time, but put it back in in snow leopard. what i used to do on my powerbook in make a vcard of all my contacts in the mac contacts program, then uploaded that vcard to google/gmail, then just kept the gmail list up to date and once a month i would save the list as a vcard from google and sync that file w/ my mac contacts program, but like i said, snow leopard fixed it and it auto syncs 2 way on my macbook (i think i finally got it to work on my powerbook too, just cant remember what i did, but i also used missingsync to sync those contacts to my FROM my pre back then as well, so that kept the powerbook up to date for me)

4. TopherG

TopherG Active Member

i tried this... but my contacts don't show up in my gmail account. Am I doing something wrong... i followed the steps by activating gmail sync on my mac addressbook. Do I first have to import my vcard to gmail?? Thanks for the help... this is my first post, I've been lurking for awhile:p

5. Lucan

Lucan Member

What is the best way to have 2 way sync of the alarms/reminders in iCal? Since iCal supports multiple alarms, is there anyway to have that synced to Google? Thank!

6. TopherG

TopherG Active Member

Good find Blake!!! I just logged in and BAM my mac contacts were in gmail! I guess it takes awhile to populate or logging out and loggin back in might do it! Looks like the iphone transition will be easier than I thought!:D

7. djdisturbed

djdisturbed Well-Known Member

Set ical up w/ your google account. works great w/ me, been doing it for a while on my pre.

8. Lucan

Lucan Member

Thanks for the response. I have ical setup with my ical but the alarms/reminders do not sync. If I have 2 alarms for a specific event (15 min before and 1 hour before) those do not show up in Google Calendar??

9. rickyaustin

rickyaustin Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me at first. Some Google magic revealed that you have to manually tell your computer to sync with Google.

After following the steps already mentioned in this thread… open iSync. It's an application on your computer. Open it, go to Preferences, and check "Enable Synching on this Computer" & "Show Status in Menu Bar" You can then quit the application.

[​IMG]

Now when you want to sync, you have to go to the little sync symbol in the top bar of Mac OS X, click it, then select "Sync Now"

I'd recommend backing up your Address Book contacts, and your Google contacts first — then manually fix all the duplicates/errors after the first sync. From then on it should be smooth.

10. thebeadgirl

thebeadgirl New Member

how do i get my events not show up TWICE in my calendar. they show up on my mac's ical and then the google cal. ugh. so frustrated!

11. blitzebill

blitzebill New Member

i don't know what I'm missing or misunderstanding, but none of my iCal calendars synced with my Google calendars.

I followed your instructions, which seemed also to have some missing information that I discovered on my own, and nothing happened. I'm not interested in my address book going over to Google, just Mac iCal events, to get them on my Evo.

Any suggestions anyone?

12. blitzebill

blitzebill New Member

i have nothing on my Google calendar. I'm trying to send all of my iCal events to it. so that I can then get this events on my Evo calendar.

13. blitzebill

blitzebill New Member

never mind I figured it out.

one way is to select your gmail iCal calendar on the left side of the iCal screen, then drag and drop your iCal event onto your gmail calendar. that pushes the event to your google calendar.

but for all of your existing iCal events, export your iCal calendars, then import them through your google calendar.

that brings all of your iCal events into your google calendar.

it worked great.

14. jayj2k1

jayj2k1 New Member

This worked like a charm! Thanks a lot! It feels good to have my Evo, iCal, and Gmail account all synced. Feel like I'm on top of the world right now ha

15. alex8oa

alex8oa New Member

this worked perfect! just what i needed! thanks blake247!