• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root System apps that are safe to remove.

Incakola

Android Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2012
Lake Worth, FL
Hey everybody, thanks to noobified we now have root. Now it's time to get rid of some metro bloatware crap among other apps as well.

Here's what I've uninstalled so far without getting any errors

Weather
LG TTS+
YouTube
Hangouts
Anything with metro (appstore, and metro- prefixed apps)
Newstand
Google play games
Setup
Email

(I'm afraid to uninstall google play movies because of how uninstalling the app caused a morning error on the LG motion resulting in re-flashing stock)

Feel free to add what you've uninstalled. Please don't take this the wrong way and start going on an uninstalling spree until you've managed to transform your phone into a brick.

There's always the alternative of freezing apps as well. I just wanted to free up some system space on the device, even if it is minimal.

Hey everybody, thanks to noobified we now have root. Now it's time to get rid of some metro bloatware crap among other apps as well.

Here's what I've uninstalled so far without getting any errors

Weather
LG TTS+
YouTube
Hangouts
Anything with metro (appstore, and metro- prefixed apps)
Newstand
Google play games
Setup
Email

(I'm afraid to uninstall google play movies because of how uninstalling the app caused a morning error on the LG motion resulting in re-flashing stock)

Feel free to add what you've uninstalled. Please don't take this the wrong way and start going on an uninstalling spree until you've managed to transform your phone into a brick.

There's always the alternative of freezing apps as well. I just wanted to free up some system space on the device, even if it is minimal.
I was just looking for a post like this. I haven't removed anything but have froze what you listed and a few others.
Chrome
Google Books
Google Movies
Google+
Maps
Messaging
I use other apps for messaging,web and GPS
No issues that I have noticed but I am pretty new to this. Not sure freezing is the exact same as uninstalling, but thought I would add those.
My main question was if you have found anything else to debloat?
Thanks

Upvote 0
I was just looking for a post like this. I haven't removed anything but have froze what you listed and a few others.
Chrome
Google Books
Google Movies
Google+
Maps
Messaging
I use other apps for messaging,web and GPS
No issues that I have noticed but I am pretty new to this. Not sure freezing is the exact same as uninstalling, but thought I would add those.
My main question was if you have found anything else to debloat?
Thanks

I'm currently not running on stock anymore but I remember I tried freezing some LG system apps that always ran and took some RAM, in the end freezing had no effect on it's state and it kept running. Freezing an app called "lg lmt"? (I think) supposedly dealt with location but after freezing it, stock lockscreen no longer activated. My point is there's not much else you can do de-bloat more at this point because there's no KDZ files to reflash everything after testing an uninstalled system app to confirm further progress of crap that shouldn't be on phones.

Upvote 0
I'm currently not running on stock anymore but I remember I tried freezing some LG system apps that always ran and took some RAM, in the end freezing had no effect on it's state and it kept running. Freezing an app called "lg lmt"? (I think) supposedly dealt with location but after freezing it, stock lockscreen no longer activated. My point is there's not much else you can do de-bloat more at this point because there's no KDZ files to reflash everything after testing an uninstalled system app to confirm further progress of crap that shouldn't be on phones.
Are you using the CM Rom Unjust Dev is working on? I want to try it just haven't done it yet because at the moment I need it as a daily and not sure if it's ready

Upvote 0
Are you using the CM Rom Unjust Dev is working on? I want to try it just haven't done it yet because at the moment I need it as a daily and not sure if it's ready

Basically,

Pros:
-More freed RAM because of a vanilla based rom
-Slight increase in internal memory
-No bloatware
Cons:
-Decrease in SOT? (had 8hrs once on stock but I've never achieved it in cm12)
-If you use the camera frequently I would suggest you refrain from installing until Dev fixes the kernel issue (this also includes the flash module for the camera). Network stability isn't solid but it works. Data is somewhat bugged, if left off for a while a reboot would be need in order to reestablish data.

Upvote 0
Is there a thread here? Or, if not, where did you find this? And, what is your confidence level with it?

Upvote 0
Is there a thread here? Or, if not, where did you find this? And, what is your confidence level with it?

There's threads about lg APKs on different sites and what they do, not all of them are listed though. My concern was the RAM being used up by pointless system apps but given that I switched to cm12 the RAM still is in the same situation. Coming from a phone that had nearly 2gb of ram, I get carried away with using too much ram it starts killing some apps in the foreground and background in the process.

Anyways no KDZ files, no point in meddling with system. TWRP backups may work but LG has their own error handling and it may be impossible to recover from it without KDZs.

Upvote 0
I was asking the same question @stinger2k was asking above.
I think you can access that w/a dialer code & disable it.
I'm guessing if you look around in the G2/G3 forums,you'll find someone more familiar w/LG devices who could pinpoint you to the exact codes/locations within the hidden menus.
I found these w/a Google search for the G2/G3,but,may lead you to it w/this phone:

http://www.droidviews.com/make-lg-g2-perform-faster-by-fixing-lag-issue/
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Expl...ny-Oppo-and-other-Android-smartphones_id65673

Basically,use the appropriate prefix for your carrier/area.
The 2nd number would be the model number of the phone.

Probably wouldn't hurt to look/ask around @ XDA DEVELOPERS if disabling LMT is even possible w/this phone.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/t/d390n

I don't have this phone,but,the LMT discussion caught my eye & I remember disabling it on my LG G-FLEX.

Upvote 0
@Incakola
You are using a custom ROM? What is your experience with it so far?
The latest build of unjustified's rom is the most stable for a daily driver (minus the camera). I like anything vanilla android and not crap that companies put a sticker on with their name on it. If you want perfection, wait for further development of this device. That's all I'm going to say.

Reactions: jplsteel
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones