• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root System/data/throttle

markzombie82

Android Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2012
Hey guys i found this file on my phone and automatically started googleing.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1430145

It seems there is a way to remove it i haven't tried it yet cause i wanted to see if anyone else has first.
You just take away the Wright permission for the file. And remove the contents to the SD card for safe keeping.
If i have this file i know some of you do to if you've been throttled it will contain files.
I've read some scary threads about bootloops. So MAKE A BACKUP if you want to test and play with it.
I'm not currently throttled but have been in the past and have noticed large downloads that aren't playstore get throttled bad so if you have the same symptoms. You most likely have the same files screwing with you.

Wait there is this
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/6645-data-throttle/

I'm running g60 cm7. r09

Reactions: guiitardude
Hey guys i found this file on my phone and automatically started googleing.

Purpose of files in Throttle Folder at Data/System/Throttle - xda-developers

It seems there is a way to remove it i haven't tried it yet cause i wanted to see if anyone else has first.
You just take away the Wright permission for the file. And remove the contents to the SD card for safe keeping.
If i have this file i know some of you do to if you've been throttled it will contain files.
I've read some scary threads about bootloops. So MAKE A BACKUP if you want to test and play with it.
I'm not currently throttled but have been in the past and have noticed large downloads that aren't playstore get throttled bad so if you have the same symptoms. You most likely have the same files screwing with you.

I'm running g60 cm7. r09

I don't have that file. When you loaded your most recent ROM, did you do a factory reset? Or did you flash over?

Upvote 0
I don't have that file. When you loaded your most recent ROM, did you do a factory reset? Or did you flash over?

How about /data/system/throttle/ instead?

Mine contains 2 files.
One named with an 8-digit number and the other named temp.
Both are small files consisting of numbers and colons, both are different.

I read about these quite awhile back, and if I remember correctly they don't actually control throttling, thereby allowing a simple way to circumvent it.

Edit... just saw your last post :D

Upvote 0
Just found this maybe i should have Google's a little more

Data throttle.. - Thunderbolt - RootzWiki

Well I just moved those files and made the folder read-only. I did a speed test before and after and my download increase about 300k(went from 300K to 600k) and my upload went from 100K to 500k-600k. I ran the speed test 5 times to get an average, both before and after. This was on only 1 bar of signal. I installed a cpu monitor and my cpu is not pegged so idk what the files do but my speed increase!

Upvote 0
Well I just moved those files and made the folder read-only. I did a speed test before and after and my download increase about 300k(went from 300K to 600k) and my upload went from 100K to 500k-600k. I ran the speed test 5 times to get an average, both before and after. This was on only 1 bar of signal. I installed a cpu monitor and my cpu is not pegged so idk what the files do but my speed increase!

They don't have anything to do with CPU speed.

Don't know what they are for, but I do know they will be recreated on boot.

Upvote 0
Yeah i tried it meyh not to stoked but i think its a long shot possibly but no boot loop with changing the permissions. If you have the folder its already been done on their end that's my guess but I'm no dev or expert.
I just wanted some feed back.
Thanks to all you.

If some one finds something that is concrete. Please make a thread that doesn't blow like mine. I was just exited like a kid in a candy store and i suck at op's

Upvote 0
If them throttling actually adds things inside our devices wouldn't they easily see that those said files were deleted or have blocked access due to changing it to read only??

Just my Curiousity lol

Yeah well i have read that the file could be rewritten in thirty mins but that's just what i saw on another phone that wasn't vm.

Upvote 0
I don't have a /system/data directory. If I know how to post a good screenshot I would do it. I don't think that VM has access to our file system. they might be able to do stuff with an app, but not over the air. I'm not saying that it's not possible, just beyond the relm of reality.

see my post above for correct path

Reactions: markzombie82
Upvote 0
OK, my bad
I do hav a /data/system/throttle with two files. They have a format kinda like a spreadsheet or something.
The rootzwiki link is enough for me to not want to mess with it. Im'm not worried anyway. I had a palm that was on 2g(evdo?) and a metroPCS that was 1x. The 3g I get is enough for me to run code from my DEV rig via connectbot

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones