• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root System files

The android system is almost identical to a ubuntu system.
The first image that gets mounted to the nand chip is the bootloader (SPL).
If the Bootloader has no commands( say from the recovery image) it mounts the boot image.
The bootloader mounts the boot image as READ ONLY. So any changes done to any of it's file will be deleted upond a reboot and the image is remounted as it was before the edits.

To edit this image, you must pull and push files to the image its self. But as in anything you do, ALWAYS make a backup. If your modified boot.img is non functionable, you can replace the original one and have a working device. The easiest way to edit a boot.img is with a Android kitchen.

Upvote 0
There is a file located at /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_frequently. If we change the value of this file would that not allow us to overclock this device?

i would think you are on to something there, personally i been looking into extracting the boot img and making a OC kernel for it. that and trying to port over the xoom 3.0 music player, your info is very helpful as the contents of the file max read 600000 and min is 122880

basically the stock max and min frequencies :O

i also found that the scaling max and min have the same info, as well as set speed having <unsupported> in it >.>

Upvote 0
Yeah I looked at those values and even tried to change them. I just need to figure out how to unpack the img files in linux. I found a link to some Perl scripts but the link didn't work :/

i think i know what links your talking about. i used the same post to try and understand stripping it apart in a hex editor. still working on getting that understood so i'll let you know if i do. i have a linux setup also though so i might try to mount it on that too :D

Upvote 0
i think i know what links your talking about. i used the same post to try and understand stripping it apart in a hex editor. still working on getting that understood so i'll let you know if i do. i have a linux setup also though so i might try to mount it on that too :D

Thanks man, I am running slackware and I was actually able to mount the img to a folder(mount point) but I was unable to make any changes. Always says permission denied even though I chmod it and make sure its mounted rw

Upvote 0
ok well i have actually been able to get into ubuntu, i have a copy of the perl scripts, i've ran them to get the GZ file for the ramdisk and the kernel binary.

as far as the ramdisk goes, alot of files are missing. but a few important ones are there and the RAW image files are there too,

as far as the kernel goes. i don't know how much i can do with it >.> lol

thats my update though. sorry it took a while but i've been having net issues as well as issues with my ubuntu installation >.<

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones