• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help System sounds quiet for a few seconds, then go back to normal?

thaGrimace

Lurker
Feb 28, 2015
I've got a stock Note 4 running 4.4.4 that has peculiar audio issues. It's frustratingly intermittent, so I've yet to find any patterns on when/why this happens. The issue is that for any audio coming from the phone, the volume will start off very low, then after a few seconds, pick up back to normal volume levels. The behavior is very similar to the increasing ringtone volume, but I didn't think that 'feature' should carry over to all system sounds!! :p

This happens with keyboard clicking sounds, text message notifications, unlock screen sounds, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but you get the point. I haven't noticed the issue in music playback, but again, it's very intermittent.

I've already tried a factory reset, and the problem persists.

I'm pretty noob-ish with this sort of stuff...so I don't really know what to do/try. This must be a software issue, right? Does it sound like it could be hardware? Maybe a faulty connection to the speaker? I'm anxious to hear you guys' suggestions. This is a small issue that drives me MAD for some reason.

Thanks guys!

I've got a stock Note 4 running 4.4.4 that has peculiar audio issues. It's frustratingly intermittent, so I've yet to find any patterns on when/why this happens. The issue is that for any audio coming from the phone, the volume will start off very low, then after a few seconds, pick up back to normal volume levels. The behavior is very similar to the increasing ringtone volume, but I didn't think that 'feature' should carry over to all system sounds!! :p

This happens with keyboard clicking sounds, text message notifications, unlock screen sounds, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but you get the point. I haven't noticed the issue in music playback, but again, it's very intermittent.

I've already tried a factory reset, and the problem persists.

I'm pretty noob-ish with this sort of stuff...so I don't really know what to do/try. This must be a software issue, right? Does it sound like it could be hardware? Maybe a faulty connection to the speaker? I'm anxious to hear you guys' suggestions. This is a small issue that drives me MAD for some reason.

Thanks guys!

WELCOME TO ANDROID FORUMS thaGrimace !

You sound like your tech savvy enough to me,I wouldn't be so quick to self-label w/the noob-ish tag.:)

You've pretty much followed the logical troubleshooting steps,assuming you ran total stock after reset w/o d/l any apps & continued to experience this intermittent low-volume start-up issue.

If not,another reset isn't necessarily required,just boot into safe mode (*a good explanation of what safe mode is,if necessary)
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-14673 *

http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Access_Safe_Mode_Samsung_Galaxy_Notereg_4/56116-279

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-14690

If you still haven't found the culprit,
I'd take it back to the point of purchase & compare w/a demo model & try to replicate.
If you can demonstrate the issue to a rep in the store,they should assist you w/getting a replacement handset,whether it be through the carrier or the mfg.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones