System update changed home screen

Last Updated:

1. capainron

capainron Member

I've owned my new Droid Pro all of two days. On day two, the system recommended I download and install a system update. After restarting, the update had made a weird change to my homescreen that I can't seem to change. I've tried a reboot, a hard reset, and I've tried dragging things around to make it look like it did before the update, but to no avail.

See attached image to see what changed. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Attached Files:

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

I dont think you'd be able to change it unless the default launcher on your phone allows editing the dock. Normally that's not allowed on OEM launchers.
  3. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

Agreed, this is why many people use a 3rd party launcher.

@capainron search the market for "Launcher", there are some pretty cool launchers.. you may never use the OEM launcher again :)
  4. namoroman

namoroman Well-Known Member

That is the result of the Droid Pro update to Gingerbread. Motorola changed the layout and appearance of the screen and icons too. Happened to mine. I personally like it... but as was stated it can't be changed back systematically. Third party launchers can help you though.
  5. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

It is my opinion that Motorola should have done that. Too many people become accustomed to a product and changing horses midstream is only going to anger your user base.
  6. capainron

capainron Member

Thank you, everyone. I'll look in to a 3rd party launcher. I suppose I can get used to it after a while, if necessary.

The other thing this update did was kill all my contacts. When I went to try to open my contacts after the update I got the message "application not installed." It took the hard reset to get my contacts function back. Very strange.