System Update Not Installing (rooted)

Last Updated:

1. maplewood

maplewood Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My Incredible is rooted. For the past few days I've received a notification that a system update will be installed and the phone will reboot.

Nothing happens, no reboot and no evident change.

Now that the phone is rooted do I need to apply updates manually? Should I take the Verizon updates at all? (The only specific change mentioned in (more info" for this update is the addition of an app called "Slacker")>

Advertisement
  2. HomelessDepot

HomelessDepot Well-Known Member

This question seems to pop up at least once a day, so I'm going to point you here -

http://androidforums.com/incredible...07-v-cast-ota-update-not-installing-root.html

My post is at the bottom, the short version is you're going to have to do some extra work (the price of root access I suppose... silly, but that's American carriers for ya).

A mod may come along and move this to the appropriate root subforum

-HD

maplewood likes this.
  3. maplewood

maplewood Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Bob,

Thanks for those great and detailed instructions. Sorry to be so dense but could you please provide instructions | menuing path for these preparatory steps:

1. Tasker -> Off
    2. System Monitor -> Monitoring Enabled -> Off
    3. AutoMemoryManager -> Default
    4. SetCPU -> Profiles -> Enable -> Off
    5. WidgetLocker -> Settings -> Enabled -> Off

4. HomelessDepot

HomelessDepot Well-Known Member

I think those are just apps, maplewood. Some of them may send instructions that could potentially cause problems during the root-update process. He means, if they're installed in the custom ROM, go ahead and disable them.

Mind, I haven't rooted my phone, so I have no first hand experience with any of this - just a rather lame intellectual interest :). My understanding is -

BD's instructions (Installing OTA to Rooted Android) allow you to update and RETAIN root.

You can also downgrade to OFFICIAL 2.2 (http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/181255-how-downgrade-official-2-2-a.html) and then get the update normally. The latest Verizon OTA broke the Unrevoked rooting method, and I don't think they've released their new version yet, so you'll have to wait for that before re-rooting.

There's also a way to disable the annoying 'update me!' message and just stick with what you have if you prefer (though obviously you'd miss out on the update) - http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/217209-got-rid-ota-update-nag.html

-HD

senor.ehlert likes this.