• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"System Update" Notification This Morning..

Not worthy of a new thread, just an observation after about 10 hours of using the device off and on with the OTA installed.

- Battery life has suffered a bit as compared to the stock 1.5 OS. I'm thinking about 20% more drainage overall, as at this point in the day prior to upgrading I would have been seeing about 70% of the battery life remaining. As it is, in 2.1 usage, it now reports about 50%.

- Heat while charging! What a difference this is; I put it on the charger about 15 minutes ago and went back to it and handled it and found it to be not warm, but hot as compared to charging it in 1.5.

Not hand-burning hot, but good and noticeable, a bit disconcerting. I'm going to read up a bit on battery behaviors before I come to any conclusions about this little discovery.

I noticed this too. My battery seemed to be draining much faster today than usual. It was down to 85% after 3 hours of being unplugged, with no use...

Upvote 0
Mine did cool down after about another 15 minutes of charging, I noticed just now.

We'll see how it settled in over the long run.

Battery usage may well be from more "fiddling" with it, as you say.. ;)

Again, we'll see over the long haul.

I can tell you the battery drainage is not from playing with the phone more. It gets better, but it is very poor after updating. Believe it or not I did not touch my phone after the update. I set up my screens, got a couple apps new to 2.1, and thats it. I wanted to keep an eye on battery with the 50% bug, so I periodically checked.
When I tell you I had 0 usage the rest of the night, I mean it, and it still drained pretty rapidly.
But it does settle down. I did a full charge yesterday. Took it off at about 6:30pm and I have 40% left after being on a few calls today, one was pretty legnthy. Also a few texts, a bit of tinkering with mabilo ringtones... I will make it until bedtime before i stick it on the charger again.
So thats already a great improvement from the night of my update. Im used to getting 2+ days out of it, so we will see if it continues to improve back to that point. But it will improve, I can tell you that.

Upvote 0
I can pretty much say "ditto" to your experience, Frisco. Update was waiting for me when I woke up this morning... but I held off for a few hours making sure everything was backed up, noting my settings and apps, etc. I also wanted to do a little reading of other's experiences with it and what kind of issues to be looking for. Just might make a thread sharing my observations...

Upvote 0
I noticed this too. My battery seemed to be draining much faster today than usual. It was down to 85% after 3 hours of being unplugged, with no use...
Everyone seems to have that. Myself included. But I remember having poor life when the phone was brand new too. Then I started getting 2+ days.
Same thing is happening with this. Installing totally new OS, things have to settle again apparently.
I am noticing a big improvement now 48+ hours after my update. Not quite where I want it to be yet, but I think it will get there.

Upvote 0
BTW, what's your opinion on doing a factory reset to give it a clean slate to run on or just run it as is? Do you think you'll end up resetting it?

No need for that on mine, as far as I can see.

As I posted before, I'm thinking that it is possible that my old habit of rebooting following each configuration change has caused my device to settle down in a similar fashion as we've seen reported by those resetting.

I have no empirical proof of that, only my experience as to lack of bugs such as contacts being wiped out, "silent phone bug," etc.

Upvote 0
Having taken 20 minutes or so to do the upgrade I have found my phone to be much more responsive. I do not have any dialer lag or any lag. All my apps were still there and I have had none of the problems that others have reported. Rate it battery depletion and heat during charging will be monitored over the next couple days but I have no complaints at this time.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones