System Update ProblemSupport

Last Updated: 2011-09-27 10:21:04
  1. beardiebloke

beardiebloke New Member

I just bought a used Hero and so far it works OK except for two things.

First the GPS isn't picking up any satellites from what I can tell. I'll try again tomorrow but it might just be that I'm being impatient and there are too many trees/buildings around. I'm really just mentioning it in case it's relevant to the other issue...

The second problem is more disturbing. After powering on the phone I get this message:

"Install system software update
    Would you like to install the following system software update?
    System update available (size: 3.02 MB) ... etc..."

If I hit "Cancel" everything still works as normal.

But if I hit "Install now" I get to this screen:

"Android system recovery

- USB-MS toggle
    - Backup/Restore
    - Flash zip from sdcard
    - Wipe
    - Partition sdcard
    - Other
    - Power off

Build: RA-hero-v1.6.2a
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:No signature (216 files)
    E:Verification failed
    Installation aborted."

Here's some info from the phone ... not sure if it helps:
    Firmware version: 1.5
    Baseband version: 63.18.55.06SU_6.35.17.03
    Kernel version: 2.6.27-430d1aea
    Build number: 2.73.405.66 CL#83173 release-keys
    Software version: 1.0.0.A6288

Any idea where I can start to fix this? I've only had the phone for a day so I'm not worried if I have to wipe everything to start over.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

The problem is caused by the custom recovery installed on your handset (RA-hero-v1.6.2a). Presumably this is a pre-owned Hero?

The solution is to reinstall the current firmware (ROM), which will replace the recovery with the stock one and allow the OTA update to complete. You can download the ROM Update Utility file here. Unfortunately HTC appear to have removed all firmware downloads from their own support site. :(

You will need to install HTC Sync as the drivers required for the update are part of the package. Then connect to the PC with the USB cable, the EXE file you downloaded from the above link, and follow the on-screen instructions.
    beardiebloke likes this.
  3. beardiebloke

beardiebloke New Member

Thanks for your reply. I should have posted earlier but on Monday I managed to root it and install a custom ROM (VillainROM 12 I think). I used the "Android system recovery" menu that was already there (not sure what you call that exactly).

Getting root took a while because I forgot to click the USB debug option. After that it was not too hard. Just did the nand backup and followed some instructions that I found online. Now it's working just fine - everything OK so far.
    Slug likes this.