• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

System update VS networked unlocked phone

ninavieira

Lurker
Apr 25, 2014
Hello, can anyone shine a light on this?

Bought a metro pcs lg optimus L9 P769 last year. Since I moved countries but wanted to keep the phone in a different carrier, I got an unlock code from cellunlocker and all went great.

Now metro psc has sent out a system update and, even though I don't use use metro's network nor am in the US, it was downloaded to my phone (probably over wi-fi) and keeps asking to install.

The pop up message that I get when I tap the more info button is this:

Android System Update/downloaded and verified 10.0 MB
MetroPCS is pleased to provide a new, free software update for your android smartphone. This software update includes important improvements. To install the software, make sure the battery is fully charged and select "restart & install" at thebottom of this screen. Please do not turn off your device while the update is installing.

I tried finding threads about this, but could only find some talking about root being lost due to some kind of reset upon system updates. Since I understand nothing about phone shenanigans - sorry, really do not understand a thing, so much Idk a word that describes phone rooting and such. Phone/system development, maybe

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones