System updates disabled on my phoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. lynx4ben

lynx4ben Member This Topic's Starter

So I was going to update to Froyo manually when I noticed that my 'check for system updates' is disabled in the about phone menu.

I can only think of two reasons:
    1. I'm rooted (doesn't seem likely)
    2. I'm roaming but still on 3g (This would be annoying as I have to drive 20 miles to verizon towers)

Any ideas?

On a separate note maybe this is an advantage. I'm new to the Android platform and have heard of issues upgrading to 2.2. Maybe I should just wait until Moto puts out the patch?

Thanks to all!

Advertisement
  2. lynx4ben

Help please

3. lynx4ben

Anyone?

4. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Could be #2.

Have you deleted/frozen any system apps? I know if that can cause issues with not being able to update, but I don't think it disables that menu.

5. NorthVandea

NorthVandea Well-Known Member

I can say from experience that the 2.2 update is buggy. For example some people have reported that their phone restarts for no reason, and I have noticed that the battery usage chart crashes more often than it actually opens. However there are also speed and feature upgrades included as 2.2. Show if you want to try to update, I would say that 2.1 is more stable, but 2.2 has added/improved features. It depends on which one you would favor. As to why update is locked on your phone I don't know however I had a BB Storm2 that had update locked because it had had update locked out by being connected to a BES server and having an IT policy pushed to it.

6. Diz

Diz Well-Known Member

If your phone is rooted, you are not able to receive the official OTA update.