• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

System Upgrade 1.47.651..1 (21.43 MB) Now Available

Side note:

While downloading the HTC software update do not attempt to scan for a Firmware update to install. Mine became corrupted and i needed to re-download it which sucks because i was at 20MB out of the 21.4 that it is.

Oh well live n learn but thought i would share.

i scanned for a Firmware update but it said there was none avaliable... when i checked the HTC software, it detected it and thats the one thats being downloaded as we speak

Upvote 0
I was semi rooted with unrevoked. I didnt change anything and did the update.

Most of my widgets now say "Problem loading Gadget" lol

Update: Forgot to mention, unrevoked does not work after the update. Woops.

Thats because that method was not a "true" root option, it was only tricking the phone into thinking and acting like its rooted until you reboot. If i were you I would try the xda (toast's) method, but it could be that since you d/l the update you ruined your chance at rooting. Im sure there was something in the update that kills root.

WORD TO THE WISE...If you are rooted, and wish to KEEP ROOT. DO NOT UPDATE!!! There will be a custom ROM with the update included probably within the next couple of hours.

Upvote 0
i scanned for a Firmware update but it said there was none avaliable... when i checked the HTC software, it detected it and thats the one thats being downloaded as we speak

I already had the HTC software update downloading then i went back into settings and scanned for a firmware update. Thats when it closed and the error came up saying the data became corrupted.

My point being download 1 at a time if multiple are available.

Upvote 0
Just went through all the home screens. Had to re-add Handcent, Voicemail, and Music (Android) widgets. But all else seems great. The homescreen pinch works a lot faster now. My favorite game, "Blow Up", is also a lot more responsive. Any way to determine what the updates consist of?

Upvote 0
I had both, maybe it depends on which version your Evo is?

Hardware #2...and my evo began downloading the system file without me even knowing....deffinitly does seem much more responsive though..and the screen issues while not grounded seem gone...i tested it on 5 different surfaces and all went well.. im in school right now and i use to only get only 1 bar of wifi signal, mostly just the dot...now im getting 4 bars of wifi signal..so i think wifi issue has also been addressed...finally the evo is shaping up to be the phone we always wanted....without the annoying flaws we were faced with 24 days ago...i think i just fell in love all over again

Upvote 0
anyone who got the OTA state your location so that we dont get a thread of users complaining that they havnt gotten it yet and would like to know where users are being updated at.... i recieved the OTA a few minutes ago and currently installing the system update (already did the HTC update)..

Location is New York

<------ see over here.

Upvote 0
Frankly, I'm skeptical about this "wifi" fix. Just because the phone is reporting a stronger signal doesn't mean it's actually receiving one.

The testing by Android Central: Evo 4G Wifi test -- how bad is it? | Android Central

It shows that the Evo 4G actually didn't even register a signal when it was too far from the router. That seems like a hardware limitation, not a software strength calibration issue. ...this would be different if it reported no signal but could still connect, but if the phone is actually still not connecting, I don't know if this is just smoke in our faces.

Upvote 0
Frankly, I'm skeptical about this "wifi" fix. Just because the phone is reporting a stronger signal doesn't mean it's actually receiving one.

The testing by Android Central: Evo 4G Wifi test -- how bad is it? | Android Central

It shows that the Evo 4G actually didn't even register a signal when it was too far from the router. That seems like a hardware limitation, not a software strength calibration issue. ...this would be different if it reported no signal but could still connect, but if the phone is actually still not connecting, I don't know if this is just smoke in our faces.

Why don't you just test it out yourself when you download the update?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones