• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SystemPanel: a task killer for people who hate task killers.

Sorry for my ignorance but...I'm thinking about purchasing this app for my Droid X. For someone, like myself, who knows next to nothing about app memory, apps running/not running, etc, what will this app show me that will be useful for me in conserving my battery life? I know this isn't really an "app killer" app but more of an information app. OK, what information would I see that would let me know that I need to do to help out with the life of my battery. Please be specific in your answers. I am willing to buy the app, I just want to know what I'm getting into first. Do you have to be a tech nut to understand this app?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have a few questions on this app.

First of all, I love this app for my Incredible. I was using ATK and I hated being so paranoid about killing programs. I don't usually use SystemPanel to kill anything, I just like to monitor things with it.

However...

Occasionally, my memory gets down below 40M. When this happens, I usually try to kill a few programs. The ones I usually kill are ESPN Scorecenter and Sound Manager. For whatever reason, Scorecenter ALWAYS seems to be running even if I haven't accessed the program. If I kill it, it will come back a few minutes later. Why does it do this?

Is there a certain # of free memory that we should try to keep available? For some reason I think I saw someone say that 40 was some sort of "magic number" ?

Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just registered to say I actually have quite a few paid apps out of 55 or so, as i'm a firm believer that these guys (devs, lol) work hard to make our lives easier and people need to be PAID for they're work.

[gets off soapbox] Having said that, this app was obviously very well written, and one of my first paid apps, and still one of my first go to apps.

Good job, money well spent, thanks man! :cool:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I believe this is because Froyo no longer caches apps. This could explain why many people report having over 200MB+ more free memory after updating to Froyo.

yeah i asked this very question in this thread we are posting in, back when froyo came to the nexus one. the developer response was thats just the way froyo is.

Thanks for the heads up.

If there is no distinction with cached apps, then as a suggestion it might be informative to distinguish active apps between "background", "visible", "foreground", and "service" applications.

Upvote 0
Also of note is that 1.0.7 just rolled today (full version only, updates will be applied to the lite version very soon though). This release adds support for customizing the *much-despised* end-all widget a bit. :D This is the most complained about issue with SystemPanel, and I hope the update makes it more to most peoples' liking. There are now nine choices for end-all icons, and the widget background image can be disabled. Let me know what you think!

Thanks
--Tod

Upvote 0
Welcome back Tod! :D For some reason, I would think your name is Ted >_>;
Had not checked this thread, and I cannot seem to stay subscribed to it.
Have you tried unsubscribing to the thread and then resubscribing, maybe that'll work.
Sorry, have been working *HEAVILY* on a new app these past few months (not out yet).
Can't wait to see what's the new app is :)

Upvote 0
The Lite version of 1.0.7 is now available as well.

Welcome back Tod! :D For some reason, I would think your name is Ted >_>;

Have you tried unsubscribing to the thread and then resubscribing, maybe that'll work.

I think the issue is just that board is designed to only email you one time until you visit the thread again. Would love to have certain threads always email me when they're updated regardless, but guessing that would put a bit more strain on the board engine than the vbulletin authors thought would be a good idea.

Can't wait to see what's the new app is :)

Thanks, don't want to spill the beans just yet, but hope to have test versions or even a beta out soon It's been taking quite a bit of time to write, fairly good-sized project and am also doing some significant UI overhaul work (e.g. building new menu components and other supporting widgets). The UI changes will later need to get backported to existing apps as well.

I would like the option to have the end-all command in the notification pane instead of as a widget. It would be easier to get to, maybe make it 'end all but active' or something.

This is a great idea, will add to the TODO list. Thanks!

Upvote 0
so ive had the paid version for a while now, we need to buy the update? when i try to update it wants me to re purchase the app. i can see a $1 upgrade but not full price again

Upgrades are free, it should not be attempting to charge you.

Is there any chance you changed Google accounts on your phone? If so, e-mail android@nextapp.com with your order number and I'll cancel out the old one. I can then issue you a refund for the original purchase such that you can buy it again if desired.

Upvote 0
I have just installed Systempanel. I don't want to use a task manager/killer as I am of the opinion that this is not needed on an Android phone. I read an article by Lekky about task managers, and he recommended using Systempanel. I will be using this primarily as a system monitor, but also to force close any misbehaving apps.

I am trying to work out how to interpret the info given about each app. How do I recognise an app that is hogging resources? What do I need to look for? On the main page it states whether the app is background, foreground, service or visible. It then gives a number, e.g. 24.4M - is that 24.4 MB, or what? And is that the amount of memory it is using up? Then there is CPU followed by a time - presumably that is the amount of time it was operative the last time it was used??

If I then tap on the individual app in the list I get a lot more info about the CPU (total CPU time, time since start, average consumption) and memory usage (resident, shared, effective). There is no explanation in the help files about how to interpret this info.

Please can somebody give me some pointers. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones