• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help T-mo is sedning me a replacement phone. Backup ideas?

E Double

Aug 2, 2010
Hey folks,

The micro usb port on my phone has gotten loose over the last few days, and so T-mo is sending me out a replacement phone. I would like to completely backup my phone (ideally to my dropbox folder) so I can easily restore all of my apps and settings on the new vibrant when it comes. I already have Astro, and have backed up my apps to my SD card. But I would like something more comprehensive, say the way Blackberry Desktop software can do a complete back up from one phone and restore it all to a different phone. Any suggestions? What backup apps do you use? Cheers for any help.

Cheers,

Dennis

Hey folks,

The micro usb port on my phone has gotten loose over the last few days, and so T-mo is sending me out a replacement phone. I would like to completely backup my phone (ideally to my dropbox folder) so I can easily restore all of my apps and settings on the new vibrant when it comes. I already have Astro, and have backed up my apps to my SD card. But I would like something more comprehensive, say the way Blackberry Desktop software can do a complete back up from one phone and restore it all to a different phone. Any suggestions? What backup apps do you use? Cheers for any help.

Cheers,

Dennis

You could get ROM Manager and do a complete system backup. You could then save that to your computer and, after putting ROM Manager on the new phone of course, restore that image. The only potential drawback is that ROM Manager needs root. I think that's about as comprehensive as it gets. You could also look at MyBackup - Android app on AppBrain for apps and data...the free version gives you a 30-trial of the full version.

Upvote 0
Yea fer sure dude . What i did when i got my replacement, was that i rooted my phone then what you do is downloaded Rom Manager by Clockworkmod . downloaded it, open it and do the download it prompts you . scroll down and click backup current rom and write down a name for your backup. go thru that shit and yea . Plug your Vibrant into your computer, and navigate into your Internal memory and look for ClockWorkMod > Backup > and the name you gave your backup. Make sure that the folder that you named your backup is in there. then go back, and drag the Backup folder down to your desktop . Done . You get your new phone, return your old phone .

Then on your new phone, root it again, and download Rom Manager. Open it up and download the file it tells you to download then plug your new phone into the computer, open up your internal memory and you should now have a ClockWorkMod . drag the whole backup folder into the ClockWorkMod folder. go back to your phone, and click Manage and Restore Backups . and click the one with your backup . And just let it download and yea :)

I didnt explain it that well, but yea lol

Upvote 0
Well, the new phone got here, and all I can say is MyBackup Pro is a pile of dogshit. I used it to back up my apps and data. The App part of things went alright. But when I selected "Backup and Restore all data", which apparently means "not really all data, we're just playin'" I'm supposed to add back all of my wifi networks, re-pair all of my bluetooth items and hunt around trying to sort out just where the files from more than a few apps are stored on my old phone so I can manually transfer them over to the new phone. Now I have two things I miss about my Bold; A decent email app and the ability to restore a full backup to any other blackberry I damn well choose. This, my friends, is bullshit. I still think this phone (and Android in general) are light years ahead of what RIM is currently putting out, but its things like this that make me understand why so many people the world over are still buying BlackBerrys.

Upvote 0
Well, the new phone got here, and all I can say is MyBackup Pro is a pile of dogshit. I used it to back up my apps and data. The App part of things went alright. But when I selected "Backup and Restore all data", which apparently means "not really all data, we're just playin'" I'm supposed to add back all of my wifi networks, re-pair all of my bluetooth items and hunt around trying to sort out just where the files from more than a few apps are stored on my old phone so I can manually transfer them over to the new phone. Now I have two things I miss about my Bold; A decent email app and the ability to restore a full backup to any other blackberry I damn well choose. This, my friends, is bullshit. I still think this phone (and Android in general) are light years ahead of what RIM is currently putting out, but its things like this that make me understand why so many people the world over are still buying BlackBerrys.

Sorry to hear things didn't work out as you expected. If you've rooted you might look at Titanium Backup ? root - Android app on AppBrain It's highly regarded and considered essential by many.

And I know what you mean about BB backups. Those were the good old days! :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, I was trying to wait for Froyo to come out before I root the phone but I'm thinking about doing it next week. The new phone's gps actually works without taking out the entire phone, but its still a laggy MF. If I root the phone do I have to redo all of my data and settings, or is it like an over the air update? This slower than molasses in January lag nonsense has me kinda envious of how stable and consistent my wife's iphone is. But after two buggy, temperamental macbook pros I'm done with those assholes in Cupertino.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones