• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile 30 plan minutes

How many minutes overall did you get like that? Something I also totally didn't think of is the main people I call I can call for free on WiFi through facebook messenger.

question regarding T-Mobile's service as well... Now do they only get 4G LTE? Say if your in an area that has no LTE, so would your phone drop down to 3G, rather than just 4G? I'm not sure how that works with them because normally, with AT&T, if I'm in an area with no LTE, it just drops to 4G so I'm curious to how that'll work.

Upvote 0
I'm assuming then that H+ must be 4G? And H is 3G? I did ask several people that I know who have the service and they report never getting 3G. Usually 4G and sometimes LTE. Probably depends on the area. Another question I have is that if you upgrade to a different phone then the one your using with your plan, can you still keep the plan?

Upvote 0
I'm assuming then that H+ must be 4G? And H is 3G? I did ask several people that I know who have the service and they report never getting 3G. Usually 4G and sometimes LTE. Probably depends on the area. Another question I have is that if you upgrade to a different phone then the one your using with your plan, can you still keep the plan?

H+ is largely a faster version of 3G; depending on who you talk to, some will call it 3G, others 3.5G, and the carriers call it 4G. You don't see "3G", as you are referring to it, very often because T-Mobile has almost all their 3G upgraded to HSPA+.

As for as phones, T-Mobile doesn't care (beyond if the phone is locked or blacklisted). You can switch the SIM between phones as often as you like, T-Mobile doesn't care or require any type of notification. Additionally, if you need to switch your SIM card (such as if your main driver is changing from a phone that uses a Micro SIM, to one that uses a Nano), there is no issue swapping the SIM on your account; you may get charged for the SIM card, but it will not change your plan or what you pay for the plan.

In my case, this week, I just purchased a Moto X. I have a plan through a T-Mobile reseller (so it isn't technically T-Mobile prepaid) so pulled the SIM from my Nexus 5, cut the SIM down to Nano size, and then put it into my Moto X. I then used the Nexus 5 to activate a SIM on the T-Mobile $30 plan; T-Mobile did not care that that phone had just had the other SIM in it, nor the fact that it was bought originally from the Play store.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
So 4G is essentially a faster version of 3G? And I'm assuming my speeds on 4G/H+ would probably not be as fast as AT&T 4G which I have now?

Both AT&T and T-Mobile refer to HSPA+ as 4G. When they are talking about LTE, both carriers tend to say "4G LTE" to differentiate the two -- though many here argue HSPA+ should be listed as 3G and only LTE referred to as 4G.

In terms of speed, T-Mobile's HSPA+ is typically faster than AT&T's because AT&T only rolled out HSPA+21 (which theoretically gives a max speed of 21 Mbps). T-Mobile upgraded up to HSPA+42 (theoretical max speed of 42Mbps). I should add, either will only be as fast as the phone allows, for example, most lower end phones only support HSPA+21.

Additionally, most recent tests show T-Mobile's LTE is currently faster than AT&T's; here is one example (though they rank Verizon fastest).

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Ah I see. Well chances are wherever I go I'll either get 4G or LTE. And if T-Mobile's HSPA+/4G is faster than AT&T HSPA+/4G, I'll be perfectly fine. I will be using an S3, so I'm assuming that's a high end enough device to pick up their latest updates to 4G? I've read somewhere supposedly that T-Mobile's HSPA+/4G is faster than Sprint's LTE. I wonder if that's true?

Also in order to sign up for this deal how exactly do I go about it... I plan on purchasing the phone from Walmart.. Do I just pick up a 30 dollar card and look on their website? They also have a 30 dollar plan Sim Card kit for 40 dollars which you can use I guess for any T-Mobile phone or BYOD. Should I just pick that up?

Is that Free Steaming music included with this plan? Or is that only with those truly high end zero down devices from the T-Mobile dealer/online?

Upvote 0
you buy a sim kit at walmart which includes the first month of service at 30 dollars. The sim is nano, and has plastic adapter for use in micro or mini sized phones. You can either activate over the net or call them, using the walmart plan sim card kit.

i do not think free music streaming is included, but 5gb of lte will get you lots of music. As for phone, i avoid samsung due to lousy qc. I got the moto g/lte and it is almost flawless. Camera not as good as htc, but phone set up perfectly as soon as i put in either att or t mobile sim. Since i have other att phones, i use moto g/lte for t mobile.

Upvote 0
As far as the calling apps, this was the best plan because you could use Google Voice in conjunction with another app to make phone calls over wifi AND data. on May 15th, this all changed as these apps were no longer compatible with Google Voice. Google made a change to all of this.

I used Viber alot to call my wife, which were a majority of the calls. But lately, I need to talk to other family members now so I switched to a Family Plan on T-mobile. You need to analyze your calls to see who you call the most and if they are willing to use Viber or FB messenger to communicate with you.

Upvote 0
you buy a sim kit at walmart which includes the first month of service at 30 dollars. The sim is nano, and has plastic adapter for use in micro or mini sized phones. You can either activate over the net or call them, using the walmart plan sim card kit.

Okay yeah I did see them there. Now does it work the same way if my phone is unlocked from AT&T ? I can use it and load the T-Mobile sim card in there and it'll work? Would it still pick up 4G LTE and 4G?

Upvote 0
Must be nice. I purchased a T-Mobile branded S3 today from Amazon in almost brand new condition from a great seller. Only thing is, it's unlocked. So will this be an issue for me being unlocked?

Can I just start up an account on T-Mobile and plug in a Sim card, considering it's a T-Mobile branded device? Will I have to do any kind of reprogramming or anything like that? And the 30 dollar plan still supports LTE or no?

Upvote 0
Must be nice. I purchased a T-Mobile branded S3 today from Amazon in almost brand new condition from a great seller. Only thing is, it's unlocked. So will this be an issue for me being unlocked?

I'm guessing you mean carrier unlocked? That is never a problem.

Can I just start up an account on T-Mobile and plug in a Sim card, considering it's a T-Mobile branded device? Will I have to do any kind of reprogramming or anything like that? And the 30 dollar plan still supports LTE or no?

To get started on the $30 plan, you will simply need a prepaid SIM Kit from T-Mobile. You can get them from the T-Mobile website or Walmart stores sell them for $36 (with a $30 credit for the first month). All you then need to do is put the SIM in your phone, activate the phone online, and add money to cover the first month (if needed). No reprogramming should be needed and it doesn't matter at all that it was a T-Mobile branded phone -- nor would it matter if it was AT&T branded (as long as it is unlocked).

The $30 plan is getting LTE, at least my account I set up a week ago has LTE.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones