• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile 7 day trial ..

Yeah, T-Mobile's 2G can be a real pain but remember that they said they are updating all their 2G towers to LTE by the end of next summer. So it might be worth another trial run next year. Have you checked out AT&T towers in your area? It can still be a better bargain than Verizon if you go with Straight Talk or AIO/Cricket.

Well, it was the actually telephony that was the problem. Calls were in and out. I can't afford that. It's my business phone.

Upvote 0
Well, it was the actually telephony that was the problem. Calls were in and out. I can't afford that. It's my business phone.

Yeah, that is a symptom I experience as well when on 2G exclusively sometimes. Some of their 2G only towers aren't very good. If you have HSPA, call quality is better than Verizon's in my opinion. Since the LTE rollout is expected to cover their network, VoLTE will probably allow for some great quality calls as well. They're already rolling it out so who knows when it will get to your area.

Upvote 0
I loved that phone, don't say it was bad....even though a lot of parts about it weren't good lol ;)

I still stand by the opinion that it was the best Android phone out at the time of release. However mobile has progressed so much over the past 2.5 months that it seems like a terrible device. Plus there was the memories form that release thread. :p

But like I mentioned above, I highly advise trying out T-Mobile again in a year to see if the advancement in LTE deployment helps things out.

Upvote 0
I loved that phone, don't say it was bad....even though a lot of parts about it weren't good lol ;)

I don't want to derail the thread too much. I loved my GNex, but once I moved onto the Moto X I realized how flawed the GNex really was and how much crap I put up with to have a Nexus. Constant battery management, hoping for an OTA to get rid of one way calling, inability to properly hand off between 3G & 4G, piss poor radios, did I mention battery, the random times you could use it to make an omelet, things like that that plagued it from the time it came out of the box. All of those nits that I don't even have to consider with my Moto X. I'm sure folks that moved on to other phones have realized the same thing.

Upvote 0
I still stand by the opinion that it was the best Android phone out at the time of release. However mobile has progressed so much over the past 2.5 months that it seems like a terrible device. Plus there was the memories form that release thread. :p

But like I mentioned above, I highly advise trying out T-Mobile again in a year to see if the advancement in LTE deployment helps things out.

There were so many ROMs for that device and it was so much fun flashing a new ROM pretty much every day. :)

Upvote 0
That it is (was). That it was.

With an advanced rom like Viper together with the Xposed modules, you can reconfigure your whole setup on the fly, soup to nuts, and put two phones like that next to each other and not know offhand that they're running the same rom.

I've recovered from being a flashaholic and have advanced to being a configureaholic. :D

Plus, I think it's more fun!

Upvote 0
With an advanced rom like Viper together with the Xposed modules, you can reconfigure your whole setup on the fly, soup to nuts, and put two phones like that next to each other and not know offhand that they're running the same rom.

I've recovered from being a flashaholic and have advanced to being a configureaholic. :D

Plus, I think it's more fun!

I'm getting to that point to. I'm running a custom kernel on the stock rooted 4.4.4 rom using only Xposed modules on a Nexus device :eek: Almost sounds like blasphemy, lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones