• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile and Metro PCS Set To Merge

Gmash

Extreme Android User
Feb 3, 2011
neither Here nor There
T-Mobile and MetroPCS to merge - Oct. 3, 2012

I'm glad the deal with AT&T didn't go through, and I hope this strengthens T-Mobile, we need more legit competition. I'm wondering how this will work since T-Mo is GSM and Metro is CDMA.
Have to call BS on the author of the article, though. Both carriers have lackluster smartphone lineups because they don't offer the iPhone? Give me a break!

The deal will indeed strengthen T-Mobile, it'll up them to 42 million customers. However, it could do even better; because T-Mobile/MetroPCS appeal most to the quickly growing pre-paid subscriber demographic, they could grow even more - an article I read yesterday said they could pass Sprint as the third largest carrier within two years.

T-Mobile being a GSM carrier and MetroPCS being a CDMA carrier does mean that current customers won't see any kind of service boost from the network merge. However, the companies share the same spectrum bands and both have an LTE plan as their future aim, so it's likely that a unified LTE service is the eventual plan. Of course, a transition like that would take years, so we'll see how well they can manage three separate networks until then.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones