[T-Mobile] Can't update

Last Updated:

1. aladinsane2005

aladinsane2005 New Member

After rooting phone couldn't update. Use Triangle Away app. Reset to 0 but still won't update. In setings shows device status as modified. I,m a rookie at this but I would like get updates for galaxy s3 SGH-T999 T-Mobile phone. HELP!!!:

Advertisement
  2. domoo

domoo New Member

You can't use stock updates if you're rooted. Only way to update is to return to stock unrooted, update, then reroot.
  3. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

Flash stock recovery in Odin. You cannot (and shouldn't try to) pull an official update on a rooted phone. It causes a ton of problems.

Or, use this phenomenal toolkit
  4. josborne6

josborne6 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this applies to the Tmobile version, but on the AT&T if you delete any of the stock bloat you can't get updates. It says the same thing device profile has changed. You can be rooted just can't uninstall the bloat. Not sure if that would help or not but you may try re-installing any apps you deleted and see if it takes.
  5. AlexRayquaza

AlexRayquaza Well-Known Member

@Joshborne6
    Your right.
    On all newer samsung phones, debloatimg your rom keeps you from updating to an official update.
  6. CybrGuy

CybrGuy Well-Known Member

You have to be kidding. If I have an unrooted unalterted phone but I have uninstalled some of the junk my provider installed, I can't update my phone without a rebuild? That can't be possible...
  7. bob60626

bob60626 Well-Known Member

Does that go for disabling apps as well?
  8. GTWalling

GTWalling Well-Known Member

First off you can't remove the bloat without root. If you removed any app without root it will not stop you from getting any updates. Embedded some apps may be disabled but not un-installed.
  9. AlexRayquaza

AlexRayquaza Well-Known Member

Yes GTWalling is right.
    Disabling apps is just a way to turn them off temporarily not complete uninstall from the phone.
    I disable my apps sometimes debloat according to use.
  10. Kamau

Kamau Well-Known Member

There should be a sticky about this, as it seems to pop up on a regular basis.

1. You cannot get OTA updates if you're rooted (well, you can but you'll probably just be back here asking why your phone won't act right).
    2. To remove bloatware, you have to be rooted (Notice I said "remove", not disable). Just making it not work by disabling it still takes up space, which is why you want to get rid of it in the first place most likely.
  11. CybrGuy

CybrGuy Well-Known Member

OK, then I am misunderstanding. The phone has to be rooted to have this problem. Anything I am able to remove or disable on an UNROOTED phone will not interfere with updating. Correct?
  12. Kamau

Kamau Well-Known Member

You cannot uninstalled anything from your phone you did not install yourself on a unrooted phone. The only thing you can do with pre installed stuff is to disable it. But you are able to receive and install OTA updates.
    But on a rooted device, you can uninstall any app you desire, pre installed or not. But you cannot use the OTA updates.

That's the benefit of having a rooted device. You don't have to wait for the updates. Usually when they are released, you will have had it for some time before, thanks to all the developers. Perfect example is the 4.2.2 update being pushed to the S3. Rooted users have had it for months now.