• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [T-Mobile] Data Issues

Friend of mine picked up an HTC One the other day off CL for Sprint and decided to use it for T-Mobile.

The person was using it on Sprints network before and so under Network Mode, "GSM/UMTS Only" had to be selected because it was still receiving signal from Sprint through CDMA, but not Data. He put his sim in and clicked on the "Available GSM Networks" and after searching for a minute, T-Mobile and AT&T were listed as options. He picked T-Mobile and it automatically put in the correct APN settings for him.

What's weird though is that when the phone is freshly turned on, Data works and it comes from the epc.tmobile.com APN. However, when wifi is turned on or the network is disconnected due to lack of signal, data doesn't come back on when signal arrives again and the phone automatically changes the TMobile Data APN to cinet.spcs (the original APN for data through Sprint). What's going on here? Any insight would be great.

What he'd really like to do is just do a complete restore using a TMobile HTC One boot loader, but is unsure how to go about this.

Without s-off, hboot replacements aren't happening.

What you're describing with this phone from Craigslist is not possible according to AnandTech.

Or your friend somehow has a Sprint phone with an unlocked sim.

Sold by an HTC employee.

For $200.

LOL, it's possible. I'll get with him and ask some more questions. Are the HTC devs even allowed to sell these phones? Seems like that's something HTC wouldn't want them doing.

Upvote 0
LOL, it's possible. I'll get with him and ask some more questions. Are the HTC devs even allowed to sell these phones? Seems like that's something HTC wouldn't want them doing.

Anything is possible, but if so, there's no telling what it really is.

A readout of the hboot version, and then the radio, firmware and software versions might prove helpful in first tracking down what the present configuration is.

If it's really a phone from HTC internal, it may already have an s-off bootloader. Those exist. Rare but they do exist.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Try this....
Create the new T-Mobile APN and in the type field put a *
I'm not sure it will work for you but it's a trick I used on my one s with an AT&T SIM.
It will look like this and it persists beyond a reboot or WiFi on/off.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367471043721.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367471043721.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0
Try this....
Create the new T-Mobile APN and in the type field put a *
I'm not sure it will work for you but it's a trick I used on my one s with an AT&T SIM.
It will look like this and it persists beyond a reboot or WiFi on/off.

wich type field?authentication type? or APN type? im not sure what im looking at with your pic.

im using an international One on t mobile,and my data works fine,with exception of when it comes back on it doesnt always pick up 3g/H data,sometimes it only picks up edge,but im assuming that may be becasue the refarm 1900 band may not be that strong here at my house.

out of curiousity,what data speeds do you get with the one s on ATT? ive used various ATT devices on t mobile,but never the other way around ;)

to the OP,try toggling airplane mode off for a few seconds,then on. more often than not,that works for me,if data doesnt turn on,or turns on edge only.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones