T-Mobile doing market research on names for HTC Magic

1. scilax

scilax Member

Last night I was invited and completed a market research poll on e-rewards.com. The survey was obviously sponsored by T-Mobilie to find a good name for their new android phones. The survey featured 4 possible names for what we know as the HTC Magic. A picture of the phone (clearly the HTC Magic) as well as slightly different descriptions accompanied each sample and a bunch of questions were asked. The names in order from the survey were: G3 (that's not a misprint), myTouch 3G with Google, Genius 3G with Google, and Prism 3G with Google.

All item descriptions featured the same tech specs but it different on how it can be used I guess to go after certain demographics. The G3 and Genius 3G descriptions were similiar in explaining its productivity aspects for data mangement and web capabilities. But the myTouch and Prism seemed to concentrate on how the phone makes it easier to keep in touch with your friends and the world.

Two other phones were also featured. The "myG wiz3G with Google" looked a lot like the new Samsung android phone when compared to the blurry pictures we have seen. There was only the one name for that phone in the survey. The PalmPre from Sprint was the other phone in the survey. I am assuming this was done to gauge how people will react to the competitors product.

I am not sure as why G3 was selected as a possible name leaping right over G2 but the fact that T-mobile is now testing names is very significant. Perhaps we are one day closer to an announcement.

Advertisement
  2. mmykle

mmykle Active Member

Didn't say anything on weather or not it has a keyboard did it?
  3. XM_JDM

XM_JDM Well-Known Member

This news made me blow a load in my pants
  4. scilax

scilax Member

The description of all of the phones in the survey clearly promoted a Touchscreen QWERTY keyboard. All of the specs were 100% consistant with what we already know about the Magic (touchscreen keyboard, bluetooth, wifi, video, music player, etc). The only ambigous specs were about the camera. There was no specification on the Megapixels for the camera in the description. But we do know that the T-Mobile branded Magic that passed through the FCC last week had 5MP camera as opposed to the 3.2MP on the Magic Vodaphone is releasing.
  5. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member

I don't care. Who gives a flying upside f&*k what it's called, just release the damn phone already!
  6. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Did I miss what your vote was? Thanks for sharing the story, pretty cool.
  7. scilax

scilax Member

In order of preference, my votes were: 1.) G3, 2.)Genius 3G, 3.)Prism 3G, and 4.) myTouch. I choose G3 first because of the obvious relationship with the G1 but I higher number made it sound improved from the G1. I thought Genius made you feel smart using it, lol. The write-ups for both the Prism and myTouch seem to be targeting the phone towards women with families (possibly housewives). Those descriptions seem to focus on its capabilities to help you keep in touch with everyone in your life and its abilities to assist in shopping. I know its sounds very stereotypical but everything sounded very feminine in both of the descriptions. I thought the name Prism was actually confusing because I could not see any relationship between that word and the phone. I don't know about you, but I don't think many men would not want a phone called a "myTouch."
  8. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Agreed with your reasons and choices. Cool deal. Thanks for sharing.
  9. scilax

scilax Member

You're welcome. I really hope this phone comes out real soon. I need a really good touchscreen smartphone before the summer but I know if I buy the G1 the new one will probably come out the next day.
  10. scilax

scilax Member

Looks like TmoNews has the same info I posted 2 days ago.
  11. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member

It's not going to be ready for release!

But seriously, delaying the phone for a hardware/software change is frustrating, but understandable. But for a name? Word?

Can you do me a favor? Can you buy the G1 now then? :D