• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile FROYO update

Ive now read somewhere on this forum that its now Oct - this get silly - can anyone (ideally working for a large phone network) offer a reason as to why this takes so long? HTC have released it, Im sure they checked a few times before they did - google probably even did some checks themselves before they sent it out.

Why the delay?

Doeas anyone actalluy know without speculation what will be added by t-mobile?

One for the consipracy theorists - maybe the networks delay so long to push a certain percentage of customers over the proverbial rooting edge and therefore saving themselves the hassle of having to honour warranty's which will save them time and money id guess. Maybe the networks really want us to root our phones. :thinking:
Could be as there's a froyo update out now, and sure I read another one is due soon as well.

T-mob could be waiting so we get it all at once? Or perhaps we're going to start getting Orange crap added to our phones....

Upvote 0
Could be as there's a froyo update out now, and sure I read another one is due soon as well.

T-mob could be waiting so we get it all at once?

Certainly hope not. If they kept waiting to put the next update in, they'd NEVER get one out. The whole OS update thing is a MAJOR problem with Android. What happens when there's a major security update needed? By the time Google do their bit, hand it to HTC to do their bit, then on to the network to do theirs, the security fix could be six months old, or more. Could you imagine Microsoft getting away with that with Windows?

Google really MUST take ownershop of the OS and issue all updates itself, with The manufacturers and networks adding their bits on top, even if they are pushed without choice. The manufacturers bits MUST be able to be run on top of the OS so the OS can be updated much, much quicker.

Upvote 0
Playing with my apps, and I spoke a little too soon. Seems my Co-Pilot 8 will not start...anyone else got this issue ?

Found a solution..for those with Co-Pilot 8 and upgrading to 2.2 please see the following link:
CoPilot Live on ‘Froyo’ Android 2.2 – Update now available CoPilot Live North America Blog

25MB - My phone wanted that free in the /data partition to backup my contacts and settings during the upgrade. Upgrade failed the first time and I was just able to clear a number of caches to free up the space...but be warned. The 2.2 download was about 90MB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones