T-Mobile G2 in Canada?General

Last Updated:

1. shaspefu

shaspefu New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

I'm interested in buying the T-Mobile G2, but being in Canada, the only 'official' way to get it, according to T-Mobile, is to cross the border and buy it in person.

Since making that kind of trip is a bit overkill my other option is to buy it on eBay, which T-Mobile says they won't support. I've read that after buying a phone from T-Mobile, however, you still have to activate the IMEI.

So my question is, how can I get this phone and use it in Canada? Is it enough to just be unlocked?

Advertisement
  2. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

have any friends in the US? have one of them buy it for you, then mail it to you

3. shaspefu

shaspefu New Member This Topic's Starter

Unfortunately, I am friendless :(

4. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

how far are you from the US??? sometimes a few hour drive does a mind good.

5. LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope Well-Known Member

Not sure why you'd get the G2 for Canada as it will only run on Edge on any carrier in Canada... better off to buy the Desire Z through bell or a 3rd party when it's available on 850/1900 bands on Nov 3rd...

EDIT: My bad apparently the Tmobile G2 unlocked might work at full speeds on Mobilcity in Toronto.

6. funkadesi

funkadesi Active Member

the G2 WILL run on 3G/HSPA+ as long as teh carrier supports both 1700 AND 2100 MHz AWS Band...

7. LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope Well-Known Member

Yes but none of the big carriers (Rogers, Bell, Telus) in Canada run 1700/2100. All three run 850/1900.

The only two carriers in Canada I know of that use 1700/2100 are Wind Mobile and Mobilcity which is are smaller carriers only in populated cities (Mobilcity right now is only around Torono).