• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [T-Mobile] Gsm vs cdma

BRAINZ2013

Extreme Android User
Feb 21, 2012
Park Ave., HELL
Have a question about gsm phones. We all know gsm is a simz device . Or shall i say i know gsm is a simz device . I was fooled the other day when a friend said that they had a gsm phone , guess what i open the back of the device and only seen the sd card . Hmmmmm my question was to them was you said this is a gsm device they said yeah. I said this is a cdma it dont have a simz card . Now what would be the answer to this . Is it true or not . Feed back is needed . Cause they said and showed me straight talk is doing the gsm without the sim card and some devices dont even have sims slots. Hmmmmmmm

It certainly sounds like a CDMA device. GSM phones don't have carrier information programmed into them CDMA phones do. The point of the SIM card is to provide the phone with the information necessary to get it on the network. Straight Talk provides service on all 4 networks, though just about every phone you buy from them runs on Sprint's network with a handful on Verizon's network. If you bring your own device GSM device, then you can run on AT&T or T-Mobile's network. So it sounds like your friends had a 3G only CDMA device because any LTE device should have a SIM slot.

Upvote 0
Even CDMA phones have sim cards. They need it to access LTE. The difference is they are hardwired into the device, and not easily accessible or removable.

With that said, that's about the end of what I know on the topic. Im on sprint after all ;):rolleyes:

Maybe Sprint and Verizon handle it different because I never had an issue getting to the LTE SIM slot on any Verizon phone I owned in the past. :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones