• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-mobile - Making calls over Wifi

chrisinsocalif

Jun 5, 2010
Orange County Ca
I plan to migrate back to T-mobile once the Samsung Vibrant is released. When I used to have T-mobile they have a service called @home where you were able to use your phone (if supported) over wifi to make regular calls with your mobile phone. If you didn't have phone coverage at your home you can use your wifi internet and make phone calls back then, which used your bucket minutes or if you paid something like 10 dollars extra a month it was unlimited while using wifi.

Old press Release on the service

Previously they only had select phones that supported such a service. So I am asking current T-mobile customers if they still offer the service(or similar) and if its available for the newest android handsets. I talked to customer service rep and the girl told me she doesn't have good reception at her apartment and uses her wifi to make calls, so I assume its still available. But I wanted to get confirmation with actual T-mobile users. Thank you.

I called them again and a Customer Service rep was like "yup, should work over your wifi if your phone has wifi."
I used to work in Customer service for AT&T wireless and I know many reps give out incorrect information. You almost have to call cust service a number of times to get the most common answer before deciding if it is right or not.
Thank you for your answer, reading up on the Blackberry Pearl 8120 it shows "Wi-Fi and Mobile Calling*"
When i looked at the Motorola Cliq Titanium it did not show such an option. I was hoping Wifi calling would be available for the Samsung Vibrant, but maybe its limited to only a few phone models.

Upvote 0
I am almost 100% sure that Google voice does NOT use wifi for making phone calls. G Voice is a redirecter, when you make a call with G voice, your phone minutes are used, G voice calls a google service number that routes your call through your G voice phone number (making it appear that your call is originating from your G voice phone number. The only time G voice uses wifi is for texting or sending alerts, or when you check visual voice mail. You can read the FAQ at Google voice, I remember reading that about phone calls.

Upvote 0
I am almost 100% sure that Google voice does NOT use wifi for making phone calls. G Voice is a redirecter, when you make a call with G voice, your phone minutes are used, G voice calls a google service number that routes your call through your G voice phone number (making it appear that your call is originating from your G voice phone number. The only time G voice uses wifi is for texting or sending alerts, or when you check visual voice mail. You can read the FAQ at Google voice, I remember reading that about phone calls.

You're right in that's the current implementation. Google has said, however, that they plan on rolling out a true wifi voip calling solution in the next implementation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones