• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-mobile NEW LG Optimus L9 for $200 + $50 refill card

Was at target tonight and they had the L9 for $199 and you'd get 20% off that when you bought it in conjunction with a $50 prepaid card. So it seems like you get the $50 card basically free if my math is right. (20% off 200+50=50 off)

I'm brand new to the idea of Tmobile prepaid and this seems like a relative cheap option to try it out. Figure I can always sell the phone on CL later if it doesn't work out for me. One newbie question, I want the $30 Walmart plan and if I bought that $50 card at target and used it on the $30 plan it would leave 20 bucks on the card right? Or how does that work?

Upvote 0
Was at target tonight and they had the L9 for $199 and you'd get 20% off that when you bought it in conjunction with a $50 prepaid card. So it seems like you get the $50 card basically free if my math is right. (20% off 200+50=50 off)

I'm brand new to the idea of Tmobile prepaid and this seems like a relative cheap option to try it out. Figure I can always sell the phone on CL later if it doesn't work out for me. One newbie question, I want the $30 Walmart plan and if I bought that $50 card at target and used it on the $30 plan it would leave 20 bucks on the card right? Or how does that work?

Yes, when you activate your phone and start your plan, it will put the $50 on your account and subtract the $30 for your first month, leaving a $20 balance. You can then just add $10 before your next month's payment is due (so that you have the $30 in the account) or, if you go over your 100 minute limit they use that $20 to pay for your extra minutes (at 10 cents a minute).

Reactions: Wolf Howl
Upvote 0
Are the funds good for up to 90 days only?

No. From what I can find about it, as long as your account is active your funds carry over indefinitely. Then again, I don't see why you would have much more than $100 on your account at anytime (if you use a $100 prepaid card), so that balance would be used in just over 90 days -- so it isn't likely to be an issue.

In my case, I got the $3.35 credit when I activated my SIM card (from the SIM activation kit) and that credit is still there after 9 months (though I am adding money monthly).

What I did find is, if your account goes inactive, after 120 days they convert your plan to a "Pay as You Go" from the monthly plan, and your funds are "used" after 90 days on the Pay As You Go plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones