• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [T-Mobile] S4 gets warm when charging

mike28

Android Expert
Dec 20, 2010
Tampa
Sorry guys I'm new to this phone so gotta ask around. I noticed that when charging the phone phone gets somewhat warm on the ear area right towards the top of the phone to the point where I have to take it off my ear has anyone experienced this? I read that there were some s4 with phone getting hot

Thanks for replying quickly James well got the phone 3 days ago brand new from tmobile store, haven't drop it or no other type of issue it's only doing this while charging my wife has one as well and hers was also warm but it seems the issue on her phone is going away, I'm charging with the original charger too I'm running a rom and still is doing this I only have a few apps downloaded as well I will keep an eye on it and maybe do a factory reset which I did when I installed the rom but will keep an eye on it thanks again :thumbup:

Upvote 0
The phone's most sensive component is its Li-Ion battery.
If you're worried about the S4's temperature you'd install a battery monitor like Battery Monitor Widget for to measure the temperature of the battery (by time on a graph).

The Li-Ion battery's temperature operating range is:
for discharging -20C (-4F) to +60C (+140F).
for charging 0C (+32F) to +45C (+113F).

Harry

Reactions: mike28
Upvote 0
In my experience phone heating has always been undervolting. For this reason i always try to stay away from custom kernels. My phone also get a little warm when I'm tethering and charging it at the same time but that's to be expected.

Are you using the phone while charging? If so what apps are you running?
Are you on a rom that includes a custom kernel?

Switch to a stock one and see if still heats up. When you charge hit your task manager and kill all downloaded apps. Don't kill system apps cause theyll just start right back up.

If it still heats up it might be a defect

Upvote 0
Well it has been happening even stock without even rooting the same for my wife's s4 hers is stock and still gets warm when it's charging I have been reading about it and others have experienced the same issue the s3 didn't do this, some people ended up taking the phone back others just kill task so at this point I don't know what's causing it I understand phones tend to get a little warm but not like this it actually bothers me to put it in the ear :(

Upvote 0
Well it has been happening even stock without even rooting the same for my wife's s4 hers is stock and still gets warm when it's charging I have been reading about it and others have experienced the same issue the s3 didn't do this, some people ended up taking the phone back others just kill task so at this point I don't know what's causing it I understand phones tend to get a little warm but not like this it actually bothers me to put it in the ear :(

Yeah i looked it up and do see others with same problem. Nobody seem to have a solution tho. The only thing i can think of is that since all the threads I've seen about it are old, maybe it was fixed in an update. Flash an mga based rom and see if it fixes it. I would anyways, mga brought a lot of the features that should have been there all along. Just gotta give up wifi calling.

Upvote 0
Yeah i looked it up and do see others with same problem. Nobody seem to have a solution tho. The only thing i can think of is that since all the threads I've seen about it are old, maybe it was fixed in an update. Flash an mga based rom and see if it fixes it. I would anyways, mga brought a lot of the features that should have been there all along. Just gotta give up wifi calling.

Yeah I can try that the only issue is that like my wife's phone I like to leave stock since she doesn't really really understand rooting lol but will talk to tmobile and see if there is a solution or worse case scenario Odin to stock and return it but don't want to go through the hassle

Reactions: airtioteclint
Upvote 0
If it helps any mike, you can set the phone into power saving mode. It fixed the issue for my s4 that I ended up returning. (It would reach temperatures of 65°C!!!) My personal advice if you are running a custom rom and kernel, dont freak out unless the phone goes over 55°C. If it stays under 55, you just need to adjust some kernel settings and you should be fine. You can dial *#0228# and itll pull up a temperature reading menu.

Upvote 0
If it helps any mike, you can set the phone into power saving mode. It fixed the issue for my s4 that I ended up returning. (It would reach temperatures of 65°C!!!) My personal advice if you are running a custom rom and kernel, dont freak out unless the phone goes over 55°C. If it stays under 55, you just need to adjust some kernel settings and you should be fine. You can dial *#0228# and itll pull up a temperature reading menu.

Will try that as well at the moment I'm using darhstalker rom with the kernel that comes with the rom, but my wife's s4 also has the issue and hers is complete stock so it just might be defective units but thanks for the advice

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones