[T-Mobile] Software update issue

Last Updated:

1. gavdapaul876

gavdapaul876 Member

Hello everyone I have a Note 3 which is rooted, when I went to check for any software update it says "Your device has been modified software updates are not available".... Now is there another way to update when kit kat 4.4 gets released?

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Unroot it, update, reroot it. (The unroot has to be total. If you used Kingo, its Unroot button should be enough.)
  3. gavdapaul876

gavdapaul876 Member

Thanks, I was hoping I didn't have to do that lol
  4. Bodycount

Bodycount Well-Known Member

I was wondering about this also. Thought I tripped a flag when I rooted and now I was never going to get KitKat.

It's always nice to go unrooted for the first few weeks of a new operating system anyway just to try new things out without the fear of breaking something.
  5. phillyundead

phillyundead Well-Known Member

If you update via kies you don't have to unroot but it will unroot during the update. I highly suggest you don't update. I'm about to junk this phone because of all its restrictions. I feel like an apple user now.
  6. Bradyy

Bradyy Member

Exactly what this guy said ^^^^^^^ I wish I could go back to 4.3
  7. phillyundead

phillyundead Well-Known Member

T-Mobile sent me a replacement.
  8. Benjie

Benjie Well-Known Member

We agree about not updating.

AARONONE Well-Known Member

Rather than unroot, you could just wait a week after the official release and the development community will release a polished version of official 4.4 (minus carrier bloat). You could just flash that. Technically you can run unofficial 4.4 now.

The problem with accepting an ota is that it can, at best unroot the phone. In some cases can cause bootloops. Not to mention, ota's typically close the exploit used to gain root access. Meaning, you need to wait for the devs to find a new method of rooting. I would never recommend accepting an ota update.
  10. gavdapaul876

gavdapaul876 Member

Thanks for all the input I'll just leave my phone as is :)