• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-mobile tethering

Anyone else get their free tethering removed from t-mobile? I've had t-mobile for 3 years and they removed it. T-mobile wants me to pay 15 bucks more for something I already had. I thought stuff like this was illegal stuff like this should be Illegal.

Didn't Verizon just get sued and lost for charging more to their customers for tethering.

This really pisses me off I think I might end up going to Metro Pcs.

What are you guys thoughts.

Yeah thats no good. The whole tether charge is absolute rubbish! Imagine if home internet would charge for every extra device connected to you home internet.. I actually heard a while back when some isps tried to stop users from installing home routers. Telling them that this sort of traffic sharing is illegal. I hope somebody's gonna kick mobile provider for manipulation. I mean why should they care what do you do with your traffic? I mean most of us have limited data..

Upvote 0
Anyone else get their free tethering removed from t-mobile? I've had t-mobile for 3 years and they removed it. T-mobile wants me to pay 15 bucks more for something I already had. I thought stuff like this was illegal stuff like this should be Illegal.

Didn't Verizon just get sued and lost for charging more to their customers for tethering.

This really pisses me off I think I might end up going to Metro Pcs.

What are you guys thoughts.

A bit confused I guess as I thought T-Mobile had been charging for tethering services (according to the sticky post at the top of this forum from back in December)? I'm with T-Mobile and haven't seen anything about free tethering... was this a feature before I joined with them?

Do you think perhaps you fell through the cracks (getting it free via their mistake) and they just now caught it?

Just curious. :)

Upvote 0
A bit confused I guess as I thought T-Mobile had been charging for tethering services (according to the sticky post at the top of this forum from back in December)? I'm with T-Mobile and haven't seen anything about free tethering... was this a feature before I joined with them?

Do you think perhaps you fell through the cracks (getting it free via their mistake) and they just now caught it?

Just curious. :)

Maybe but when i talked to the representative they seemed unsure. I've had tethering since the Nexus one came out my phone isn't even rooted. She said that a new plan went into effect starting April, but now that I think about what does that have to do with me I've been a loyal customer for three years it doesn't make any sense since I didn't sign anything or agreed on anything. I really wish we could all have free tethering.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify about Verizon, when Verizon sought additional frequencies/bandwidth for LTE, they cut a deal with the government that they must provide open access to their subscribers on that frequency. Verizon wasn't told they could not charge extra for tethering/hotspots, merely that they had to allow tethering/hotspots on the LTE frequencies because of the deal with the government to get those frequencies. Verizon, rather than try to figure out who is tethering/using hotspots on LTE vs. 3G, merely removed the extra fee (and got rid of their unlimited data plan).

As for T-Mobile, they merely changed their policy so it was similar to what all the other carriers are doing (this was before Verizon changed policies). I agree with others, if you have a limited plan they should allow tethering/hotspots (not just T-Mobile but all carriers), but I understand why they would want to charge extra on unlimited plans.

Upvote 0
This confusion may be caused by the differences phone to phone. I know some phones had open tethering built in. For instance, the HTC Sensation. However, when the sensation received it's ICS update it lost this ability. I'm guessing it's not the only phone to go through this.

bboyswoosh87, what phone are you using? Did a software update kill this feature for you?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones