T-Mobile UK 2.1 update news

Last Updated:

1. mjcritchie

mjcritchie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

According to the HTC Hero Blog:

It took T-Mobile quite a while to release the last update (after threatening not to bother porting the update to their branded Hero, the G2 Touch, at all) so I'm kind of sceptical that they will be able to turn around this so quickly.

Although maybe this explains the delay and HTC are trying to release the updates for locked/unlocked phones nearer to each other.

Anyway. Anyone on T-Mobile got the update yet?
    I'll let you know when I do.

Advertisement
  2. noddle

noddle Well-Known Member

I don't have an update for the 2.1 yet from T-Mobile. But a little worded about the problems people are having to either bother. I have a new Samsung Galaxy Portal (for an upgrade) and was just going to sell on eBay but thinking about it now I might as well use that phone instead.

3. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Whats the UI like on the portal?

4. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Basic

5. noddle

noddle Well-Known Member

Sorry, have not even opened yet still sealed so can

6. mjcritchie

According to this article from Pocket Lint, the 2.1 upgrade for 3 customers has been pushed back until July.

T-Mobile haven't said anything yet, but it looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer than the original 'end of June' date that was put out there.

I wouldn't mind the wait (goodness knows I'm used to it!) but I wish they'd pick one and stick to it!

7. noddle

noddle Well-Known Member

When I get my update I will see how it goes and then make up my mind. HTC are a real disappointment I won't be buying or advising that brand been as though it looked like they cared about their new mobiles updates but not their older (which had also won awards in 2009 and gave rep to HTC).

8. mjcritchie

It's a tricky one isn't it. I mean, I really like the open-source nature of Android and it's great that lots of manufacturers are able to support it but it does mean that they all have to constantly keep pumping out new phones to keep ahead of their rivals.

Apple on the other hand seem to be much more restrictive with the iPhone, but the pay off is that there are much fewer device updates (and they are pretty regular) so your hardware is likely to be supported for longer.

I don't think it's HTC's fault, they are just trying to keep up with the game.

On the other hand, I bet most users, who aren't particularly technology/update savvy, don't even know about the update and are perfectly happy running 1.5, which is a perfectly capable phone OS. Even if it is a few versions old now.

9. noddle

noddle Well-Known Member

HTC should have another source to make sure all their updates for all the phones running updates (as HTC said they was going to update the Hero to a 2.1) are at a reasonable pace, otherwise we could be waiting for a longer time for the next update for the Desire and so on.

But if it was mainly though Android setting, the updates for each phone then I wouldn’t think would be any problem as they would relay on the ROM and not HTC.

Wouldn’t the users who don’t know about the updates be a bit confused if they accidentally install the 2.1.:eek:

But if there were not so many updates then this would not be here and what then would we talk about. :p

10. markjwilson

markjwilson Member

Well said,

My Wife is on t-mobile and basically the phone works and she is happy with it, however for the last few weeks she has been getting notifications about an update, now i assume this is the pre-update before 2.1.

looking on here there are sooooo many complaints on here on not getting 2.1 nobody has said go ahead and do the pre-update and then goto 2.1 you will have no problems.

Honestly i don't care about 2.1, i know if i say update and there is a problem i'm in big trouble cause i have crashed her phone.

So should I upgrade?

11. rainmanne

rainmanne Well-Known Member

12. noddle

noddle Well-Known Member

If I was in your position I would say not to update as the 1.5 is running fine for most people and updating could cause a few errors with some of the apps and maybe wait until this has been fixed. The 2.1 is supposed to be much faster and run a few more apps, but if this wouldn

13. DeadlyDazza

DeadlyDazza Well-Known Member

Got sooo fed up with waiting, and T-mobile's 2.1 doesn't A2SD so i used the information within this site to goldcard, downgrade and flashed Villainroms new rom only yesterday.
    Took a good 2 hours just to get it installed becouse i'm a complete n00b but now it's done i won't regret it.

14. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Only 2.2 support A2SD ;)

I wouldnt count on an official 2.2 for the Hero.

15. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

And rooted Heroes of course with the Apps2SD app ;)

16. aznbarbecuesauce

aznbarbecuesauce New Member

What about the telus hero? I live in cali and i got the phone used.. is it still possible to get the update in us?

17. alchemistkevin

alchemistkevin Well-Known Member

18. rainmanne

rainmanne Well-Known Member

19. brittas

brittas Well-Known Member

It's here everybody. Downloading as I type!

20. 211272allan

211272allan New Member

21. GirishM

GirishM New Member

Agreed ... update finally available ... let's hope it was worth the wait

PS have now finished updating and delighted to see that installed apps have been left untouched but will have to restore contacts,etc.

22. celticgriffin

celticgriffin Member

Keep trying the "check now" but says it up to date, anyone got any ideas ?

23. Unimatrx

Unimatrx Member

Its funny, ive read people saying that google maps navigation doesnt work in the uk but on my phone it does (although be it on beta) and thats apps dont install to sd but the first app ive installed has installed to sd

24. DiscoDavey

DiscoDavey Member

Just tried the check now and its down loading ...wooo hooo

25. celticgriffin

celticgriffin Member

Tried again later and update appeared, just before I was due to go out ! . Back home now and downloading !