• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile UK 2.1 update news

Anyone having problems getting the Sept 09 rom to install from the HTC website?

I have a Windows 7 (64) system running and keep getting a USB connection error message.

HTC Synch works but I've read somewhere there may be a driver issue.

I'm starting to get confused and frustrated!

Anyone got any pointers?

Thanks. Phil

Upvote 0
Hi,

I installed the 1st preparatory update for 2.1 some weeks ago when the phone told me there was an update.

Checked for update today and told me the 2nd 2.1 update was available.
After re-boot the phone is stuck on the loading screen of G2 Touch T-mobile logo. Has been for the last 15 mins?? WTF??
Should i take out the battery. no keypresses are working like the lock screen/shutdown button.

Upvote 0
Just this afternoon 17th July I was asked if I wished to do my updates, actually had no idea what I clicked yes to!! When various little bars went along, wheels went around I realised I had 2.1 on phone.

It is honestly like buying a new phone, so much is different, its looks so classy and stylish. Also to boot, I lost not one thing from phone, in fact, strangely, I gained some texts I had deleted yesterday.

I like it when you are home and press home button again, five home pages jump up in front of you, neat touch. Also settings layout is loads different, better icons and such. I am so glad my daughter talked me into given her my iphoney, this is miles better, so much more fun, iphoney is so clinical and boring. I think it is designed for numpy kids who find toasters complicated machines--- cheers

Upvote 0
I managed to do the first update (last night, didn't bother the other week as I kept ending up with the '!' symbol) but now the second update (for 2.1) doesn't seem to want to show up.

I can check for updates under Settings > About Phone, but it says there are no new updates.

This seems to have happened to a few people. Does anyone have a solution, or is it just a case of 'wait and see'?

Upvote 0
I managed to do the first update (last night, didn't bother the other week as I kept ending up with the '!' symbol) but now the second update (for 2.1) doesn't seem to want to show up.

I can check for updates under Settings > About Phone, but it says there are no new updates.

This seems to have happened to a few people. Does anyone have a solution, or is it just a case of 'wait and see'?

What build number does it say?

Upvote 0
If you follow the above link to the t-mobile forums and go from the initial-official announcement to people asking what's up it looks like there's an issue with the over the air update at t-mobile's end.

So anyone who tried for the update on Sunday or Monday (as I did) will not have got it, having missed the 2 day window! Hopefully it'll be up again soon - with try again later the response from T-Mobile.

If you're reading this after seeing all the excitement and wanting the upgrade the best you can do is make sure your phones ready for when it does come out again. This means getting the 'system updates' tab in phone info at the bottom of settings. If you have this you're as you can get on your own and now need to wait like the rest of us chumps! If you don't know what I'm talking about (go have a look in settings) I'll briefly outline what you need to do, which others have covered more extensively elwewhere.

Basically, t-mobile supplied us with faulty software which you can't use to get THEIR update. So if you haven't reinstalled since getting your phone you'll need to. This involves wiping all your files so they need backing up if you want to keep them (which is the same when updating to 2.1 later), use astro to backup apps and a sms backup app. Then download 2 files from the HTC Europe site, sync and the November 1.5 firmware (that t-mobile gave us a broken copy of). Install sync and back up your numbers then install 1.5 again-follow on site instructions. when this is done you should get an update or 2 mentioning YouTube - and after that's all unpacked you will have the tab in settings I mentioned and can check check check for the update!

Upvote 0
Have T-Mobile taken it down?

It was down but is now up again since ~midday today - anyone who can get to check updates should be able to get it now!

Taken a bit of a risk and gone for install even though I'm currently at work and not sure if all my contacts are backed up on my home pc but couldn't wait the hours to get home...

scousers said:
then a yellow bar came up it is half way but has not moved for 5 mins should i be worried

Yes I've heard it takes a while - looks like it's sorted it our for you but anyone else interested just leave your phone alone to its own devices!

Upvote 0
My sister has updated her handset to Android 2.1. She has so far discovered one problem. When making a call to an automated service, where you have to press numbers on the numeric keypad to select various options, this is no longer possible.

Has anyone found similar experiences? If so, what is the solution? Cheers.

Upvote 0
hi guys,
my phone asked me if I wanted to check updates a couple of days ago and I pressed yes. Didn't know what I was updating at the time but I assume it is 2.1 as everything has changed.
Reading through this post though, it seems like there are 2 parts?
When I go into - about phone -software info it says 2.1 update 1
does that mean I have to download update 2? when I check for updates it says there arnt any.

Also did anyone elses contacts/people stop showing the link to peoples face book pages?
It drove me mad trying to work it out, then today for some reason it has started linking them again. weird.

Upvote 0
OK - very confused despite the best efforts of you guys to explain this. First I have no "Check now" function under "About Phone". Why is that? My phone is a 1.5 firmware, build number 2.73.405.5, software 1.0.0.A6288. It is unbranded running on T Mobile UK. Second, where is the 2.1 update? It is not on the HTC website and I have not been able to find anythng on T Mobile's UK site for the Hero. I have upgraded to the HTC November upgrade some months ago but is it the case that I have to repeat this upgrade first??

Upvote 0
OK - very confused despite the best efforts of you guys to explain this. First I have no "Check now" function under "About Phone". Why is that? My phone is a 1.5 firmware, build number 2.73.405.5, software 1.0.0.A6288. It is unbranded running on T Mobile UK. Second, where is the 2.1 update? It is not on the HTC website and I have not been able to find anythng on T Mobile's UK site for the Hero. I have upgraded to the HTC November upgrade some months ago but is it the case that I have to repeat this upgrade first??

Yes, that it what I did and it worked (despite it appearing to be the same software!)

Upvote 0
First I have no "Check now" function under "About Phone". Why is that?

That function only appeared with 2.1

My phone is a 1.5 firmware, build number 2.73.405.5, software 1.0.0.A6288.
It is unbranded running on T Mobile UK.

In that case your update will come from HTC and not T-Mobile. The Official Hero 2.1 Thread describes the process.

Second, where is the 2.1 update?

It's an Over The Air update, although I suspect that it will eventually be archived as a RUU application.

In a nutshell, you need to update to the 2.73.405.66 firmware from here before the OTA update(s) will trigger.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones