T-Mobile (USA) Defy working on AT&T 3GGeneral

Last Updated:

1. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

FWIW, I got the T-Mo Motorola Defy last night at full retail (I have both Tmo and At&t) and had to put in service call to get a "working" unlock code, but 2nd one worked. Customer service was more than willing to provide it to me, but the ones they had initially didn't work, and were half as long as what did. Getting 2Mbs+ down 1.5Mbs up on the AT&T 850 band (no 1900 UMTS, does have 1900 Edge, may be an issue for some).

I'm sure its not as "full featured" as the Pro, but for those looking for an AT&T alternative, this should fit the bill, especially compared to the flimsier Bravo cousin. Another thing to consider is that it works on the $15/mo Media Net plan (helps if you're grandfathered in with Unlimited). Its really small/light (3.7" screen), but again, feels much more durable than the Bravo (water resistant, ruggedized plastic, and Gorilla Glass). I do miss a hardware keyboard, but at least I have slingmobile again. Another plus is that the sound quality/volume are really good. I was running the Skype Echo test and a decent level, and realized it was playing thru the earpiece, and not the speaker...this at half volume.

Also, on T-Mo, it was holding signal in the problem areas in my town (inside some buildings), a little better than the N900 and Moto Q I was previously using...2-4 bars vs. 0-2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. Etilord

Etilord New Member

Did TMo charge anything for the unlock? I remember I had a $150 charge from Tmo after they provided an unlock code for a 6 year old razr.

3. colnago

No fee...as soon as I told the rep I wanted the unlock code, she asked for the model. I've been on the Even More Plus plan for about 10 months. The problem was that the first one didn't work, so she gave me a generic, "1234", which did not work either. She then escalated it to engineering, and I got an email with a 12-14 digit code the next morning. The email number worked fine.

Funny thing is, I was going to switch my main number from T-Mo, back to AT&T, because in the Balt/DC corridor, AT&T has never given me a reception issue with my Moto Q. I still get weak signal inside some buildings with T-Mo, on multiple phones. I started a job in a new location today, and "everybody" (i.e. all carriers) is having reception issues, except for my Defy on T-Mo. :D Its the first time in this area that I've seen my 3G capable AT&T phone on "Edge". I'll bring the Moto Q tomorrow to confirm, but I think its the network at fault this time.

4. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Well-Known Member

I'm really probably about to take your advice and get this phone.

Do you ever lapse in 3g coverage with the at&t band?

From what I've seen this phone goes head to head with anything out there..

And did you have to edit settings after getting the unlock code? or did you just pop the simcard in?

This seems like my perfect phone..

5. colnago

Once the phone was unlocked, I just installed my At&t SIM, and the phone registers with At&t. But again, I think it only supports the 850, possibly "NOT" the 1900 band.

I haven't been using my At&t SIM as I get better reception at my new job site w/T-Mo, plus unlimited voice/data is much less expensive. Aside from this building, At&t is pretty much locked on full bars in my area using a Motorola Q, which gets slightly less T-Mo reception than the Defy...FWIW.

The only odd issue I have using the At&t SIM is that on startup, MotoBlur recognizes that a new SIM has been installed, and prompts for the MotoBlur username/pwd. This is a good thing for security I guess, but while I try to type the info, I receive a few text messages from somewhere informing me that I have in "invalids phone#...enter a valid 10-digit #". I think its coming from Moto, but possibly from At&t. I had the At&t SIM in a few times, for extended periods, but one day I happened to install it in my At&t Moto Q, but only for a minute, before putting it in the Defy. Later that night, I get an email from At&t, who was "hoping that I was enjoying my new smartphone, and that my plan has been automatically changed from unlimited MediaNet, to 2GB Smartphone". Not sure what caused the trigger, but I had no problems w/my N900 staying on MediaNet.

I really wanted the D2G, since it has a keyboard and GSM, and the Defy was just a stiop-gap, but its functionality and form factor are really starting to grow on me. I installed LauncherPro, since everyone was posting that Motoblur is "laggy", but I'm running it with just (2) mail, news, and weather widgets, and its fine w/(5) email accts. and (2) rss feeds updating hourly. It took a while to get used to the small size, but I like it now. It also runs my DishNetwork sling adapter feed very smoothly over 2-3Mb 3G.

Also, its a plus not having to worry about using a screen protector or case...although a case may be desired for more grip.

6. Snow_Fox

So at&t recognizes the defy as a smartphone now? :(

and to be honest.. even with only the 850 3g band... if I got just one, I would be better off than with some of the other phones I have been looking at.

I have to choose between like the e71, which has both 3g bands but, is 2 years old. Nokia x6 which again has both 3g bands but, is def older and I've never owned one..

Huawei ideos which has niether 3g band but, is at least a bit newer and has froyo.

THe defy which has one 3g band, swype, a camera with flash, and one of the biggest selling points is it *IS* a rugged phone that *DOESN'T* look like crap.

Even if not military specs.. and for a while I was holding my breath for no data... :(

7. colnago

Well, I'm not sure if it was the Defy, or the Q, sine I had the card in both phones within a few minutes. It was most likely the Q, as it is At&t branded. I just bought an e72, today, and no email yet. Again my N900 was no problem...At&t rep put it on MediaNet "in-store".

8. Snow_Fox

Do you think you could call and ask maybe?

Just explain that you were checking something on a couple different phones and you were wondering which one triggered the message?

Call me paranoid but, if I get tagged with a data plan, that will cause a lot of major problems..

9. colnago

Well your situation is a bit different, if you have a SIM,and account, w/no data. If you never try to connect to net via At&t APN, you should be ok. I however am trying to stay on grandfathered unlimited plan, and not be changed to a capped plan. I can only do this w/a non-At&t phone. I'd rather not call, only to have them ask for IMEI#s.

If it helps, the co-worker I bought my E72 from, also has a 72, had an unlocked 71, and neither registered as a smartphone. My 72 has not triggered anything yet either.

I had my plan reinstated...if they add data, just tell them you were testing reception w/another phone, then return it to TMo if its going to be an issue.

10. Snow_Fox

I may do that. I would also hate to not get busted until after the 30 day return period...

at any rate I'll have to consider it.

I wish I could just afford my own plan... x.x