T-Mobile users and voicemail charges

Last Updated:

1. ifb-online

ifb-online Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've switched to T-Mobile from Orange and to a nice new Desire. I didn't have to pay for voice mail with Orange, and I did assume that with T-Mobile the voicemail charge would come out of my 300 monthly minutes. Unfortunately, T-Mobile charges 12p/minute for voicemail access. But there is a free alternative and it works surprisingly well. It's HulloMail and they have an Android App. It runs on the Desire nicely.

HulloMail works by diverting missed callers to their voicemail system (the divert works out at the rate of a land line call - it's an 03 number,so it can come out of your monthly minutes). The recorded messages can then be sent as audio attachments to your email or accessed via the Android App either over mobile data or wifi. You can also phone your voicemail conventionally and access via a pin code. It's also integrated closely with GMail.

As I have unlimited free landline calls, I don't even need to pay extra for the divert when someone leaves a message.

I would say that the only downsides are that the audio quality is quite compressed, but it's acceptable. I do also wonder if the service will be free for ever, but only time will tell. Maybe Google will dictate this as they have yet to roll out their free Google Voice solution outside of the USA.

Being able to get your voice messages over the Net or by email is great if, like me, you travel abroad frequently, too.

Ian

Advertisement
  2. Dazo

Dazo Active Member

Looks really good in theory wouldn't mind hearing more views on this from people who use it. One thing though since it uses data I wouldn't be to keen on using it abroad. Unless of course you are on wifi or your company pays your mobile phone bills. :D

3. veryjiggy

veryjiggy Active Member

HulloMail works extremely well, must say.

4. ifb-online

ifb-online Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Naturally, you may wish to avoid using mobile data when abroad, though there may be some discounted mobile data options - I'm looking in to that. However, there is a lot of free wifi around these days; many cafes, restaurants and hotels offer free wifi, which is the beauty of HulloMail.

Ian