• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-mobile's 500MB being used against Edge and 4G???

patchouli

Lurker
Apr 28, 2013
Question 1: I purchased my s2 from Walmart last Thursday and mistakenly failed to sign up for the $30 plan and instead got home and called and signed up for the $50 Unlimited Text,Web,Calls not realizing how little the 500MB of 4G really was. And also how crappy my reception is in my home.

((Now I wish I had gotten Walmart's $30 Unlimited Text, 5GB Data and 100 minutes as it seems I will be using it more for downloading apps and browsing than I will talking since I do have a regular landline.))

HOWEVER, my problem is this: It seems that in my home I only get the Edge connection and not 4G. Only 4G when I'm upstairs and then only infrequently when I'm facing a window (lol).

But I didn't realize that even when I'm browsing within Edge that it still takes away from my 4G MB's. So if I use 300 MB even though most of it was on Edge I still get MB's deducted. Which means when I'm out of the house and get true 4G I won't have any left!

Is this how it works? Or are my MB being deducted in error? I suppose I'm trying to figure out if T-mobile discerns between whether my connection is Edge or 4G? Or are they just going by how much I am on the web/downloading, etc. irregardless of how I'm connected?

Question 2: Now knowing this, how easy would it be to switch to the $30/month plan? Would it be as simple as walking into Walmart and switching? Or do I have to get a whole new sim card? I've read where once you're on one plan you can't change it. Then I've read where others say there are ways that you can, but I'm not sure how without having to change my number again.

Hi patchouli :hello: Welcome to the forums!

I moved your post to the T-Mobile forum where you might get more answers.

Edge or 4G, it doesn't matter. It will still suck up your data. You can save data by turning off mobile network in settings and turning on wifi when you can.

I don't think you can go back to the $30 plan. Maybe someone here can tell you how if there is a way.

Upvote 0
Whether you're on Edge or 4G, it's still going to deduct from the 500 mb allowance.

Unfortunately there is no way to get on the Walmart plan unless you go back to Walmart and purchase that plan again. I believe it's also offered on tmobiles website. You could call customer care to port your phone number over to the prepaid account that has the $30 plan on it once you activated it.

Reactions: Sepero
Upvote 0
Typically, you need to buy a new SIM card to get on the $30 "Walmart" plan. I'd suggest, since you bought your phone last week, calling T-Mobile customer service and let them know you had wanted the Walmart plan and ask if they can "fix your mistake".

While I have "4G" (HSPA+) speeds at home, I always have my phone connect to my home WiFi. For me it is faster, plus I don't use data from my plan. I also use GrooveIP (along with Google Voice) at home, which works well when I'm connected to WiFi, so that I'm not using my 100 minutes.

Upvote 0
It sure seems like if you got the right customer service agent they could help you out. That $30 plan is a great deal if it fits your needs.

Personally, I couldn't make the 100 minutes work. I found the $49 plan from Solavei(T-Mobile MVNO) to be a better deal than the $50 T-Mobile plan. Solavei offers unlimited talk/text/data unthrottled for 4GB.

I expect all these plans count all the data used toward the unthrottled allotment - regardless of the speed it was accessed.

Upvote 0
I'd suggest, since you bought your phone last week, calling T-Mobile customer service and let them know you had wanted the Walmart plan and ask if they can "fix your mistake".

This will probably work, especially since you bought the phone at Walmart. If one CS rep doesn't help you, call back again.

Failing that, you could order a microSIM and activate via the web, then port your original number over to Google Voice ($20). It's an ugly workaround, but it gets it done.

Upvote 0
This is standard in the industry, basically "your first X of data at up to 4G speeds, and throttled thereafter"

It only makes sense because it would be waaay too much overhead and resources for them to calculate every MB transfered and say "this one is 4G speed, and this one is Edge speed..."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones