• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help t599n, want to root it. can you help?

osmorphyus

Lurker
Feb 27, 2014
Howdy, I have a Samsung Exhibit t599n that I want to root, but I am using the Linux Arch OS on my laptop. I cannot find any resources on how to root this phone on this OS, and the Arch Linux forums are ran by complete arrogant jerks, to be polite, who deleted my thread when I asked the Arch community how I could root my phone on the Arch system.

I have been using Linux Arch for well over a year, and am familiar with Linux commands and applications, so if someone can help me, I'd be one happy guy.

Please note that Arch is nothing like Ubuntu so if you are familiar with rooting through Ubuntu based systems, or point me in the direction of Ubuntu system based roots, those will not help me.

I hope someone can help. This phone has so much crapware on it it drives me bonkers, and I'd really like to be able to move apps to my SD card, which from what I have read with this phone is only doable after a root. Also, I'm a modding junky and want to root this thing anyway, if not for anything else other than the hell of it. :D

1) Most apps won't run from the SD card. Those few that can still need a symlink from main storage to the card. So you won't save much space.

2) The big trick in rooting is to find an exploit that gives you temporary root. Android is missing /system/bin/su and /system/bin/busybox. You need to be rooted to cp them in. (And you need to install a Superuser type app, since it's the app calling su for rooting, not you from a terminal. But that doesn't need root.)

So if you find an Ubuntu thread with an exploit for your particular phone, use it to gain temporary root, then cp su and busybox over via adb (or however Linux interacts with the phone - Ubuntu should be using the same program that you can use on any distro).

Just guesses and logic - I've never rooted an Android phone with a Linux box.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones