T9 or WordSupport

Last Updated:

1. cagey77

cagey77 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Is there an application, widget or add-on that i can have where I can use the dialer as a text messaging option (ex. t9)?

Advertisement
  2. cagey77

I'm having trouble finding one but there has to be one out there.

3. bbuck002

bbuck002 Well-Known Member

my question is, why would you want to, especially with the preloaded swype keyboard.

while you are very much free to input text the way you want, imho, why would you get the latest and greatest techno phone and not use the technology. i wouldn't want to go back to a slower more confusing way of inputting text...

but to answer your question, i've never seen an app that does that for touchscreens, but the market has way more apps than i've been able to browse...

good luck

4. BeOnEdge

BeOnEdge Active Member

5. cagey77

I actually don't want to use the application. I have someone who is very used to this on their old phone so I thought I would research it for them.

6. colornshape

colornshape Well-Known Member

T9 is superior to qwerty in every way for phone text entry. I can't think of anythijg more baffling than the popularity of qwerty keyboards on phones.

Motorola's omission of T9 is disappointing, and reason enough for me to never, ever, ever buy a product of theirs.

T9 isn't confusing at all if the user understands how it works. The buttons are larger, less numerous, and not laid out in a pattern that was deliberately chosen to slow the typist.

7. masse

masse Well-Known Member

Agreed. I challenge anyone to outtext me if I have T9. I'm getting pretty fast with swype but I can't tell if its faster than the multi-touch keyboard.

8. bbuck002

bbuck002 Well-Known Member

i'm definitely way faster on swype, and i could out text most people i know (again qualifying with people i know) on my qwerty bb storm, and that keyboard sucked, but personally i don't like text prediction

9. cagey77

Did anyone find a T9 application?

10. colornshape

colornshape Well-Known Member

(Even better) numberpad keyboard ($4) works fine on my Eris.

11. Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know what you are talking about. Sure, T9 is very fast, but it's also limited. I can type ridiculously fast using a QWERTY keyboard. In fact, sometimes I watch words being typed on screen that I was done typing 5 seconds ago. Just to give you an idea, I type about 150 words per minute on a computer keyboard, and about the same on my current Voyager's keyboard. It all comes down to preference and what you are used to -- I can't wait to get used to the virtual keyboard.

12. ucla2042

ucla2042 Well-Known Member

why didn't Motorola execute on something is\as simple as this? it takes so long to call someone. i hate having to look through the contact list. my droid incredible had a t9 dialer and so does my friends samsung vibrant. the dialer app one is ok, but it doesn't integrate well with my stock dialer.

what are the chances of moto adding a t9 dialer to their next update?

for those of you that dont know what a t9 dialer is. it basically lets you use the dialpad as letters. and will pick all possible entries for you.

13. smittyatrain

smittyatrain Member

Try the app Dialer One...the stock dialer on this phone blows