• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tab 2 not shutting down after 4.2.2 update

it would be nice as I am getting tired of this restarting... Almost so tired of it that I am actually contemplating getting a different tablet.

Since my earlier post, these days my tablet will, once I go through the shut down steps, go off and immediately pop right back on, but only once. I've read a few posts that seem to suggest that it happens for some over and over? One read it won't shut down at all...now that would be a game changer for me.

Upvote 0
Gidday! I have a Tab 2 that won't shut down after it upgraded itself to 4.2.something as well. More specifically it shuts down and then starts up again similar to using the restart option. The only way I have been able to shut it down properly is when the battery went flat, then I charged it up and it sat there happily charged and switched off (i.e. not running or on standby).
I would love to know if there is a fix other than trying the factory reset option.

Upvote 0
Gidday! I have a Tab 2 that won't shut down after it upgraded itself to 4.2.something as well. More specifically it shuts down and then starts up again similar to using the restart option. The only way I have been able to shut it down properly is when the battery went flat, then I charged it up and it sat there happily charged and switched off (i.e. not running or on standby).
I would love to know if there is a fix other than trying the factory reset option.

From what I have read a factory reset will not solve the problem. You aren't alone in be feed up with the problem, I think all of us are. I called Samsung a week ago and asked them what is going on and where a fix for this is and all I got was Google and Samsung are working on a fix, no idea on when a fix will come or even if they are really working on one. I guess we will have to just wait and see.

Upvote 0
I had this shutdown issue too after the last update early this fall to 4.2.2. I found a fix- I unmounted my external sd card while the tablet was running on AC power. Then I cycled 3-4 normal shutdowns (not reboots/restarts) while staying on AC power. I was able to put the sd card back in and continued to get a normal successful shutdown. Then I was able to get the lated firmare update to install successfully which does fix this issue...

Upvote 0
I had this shutdown issue too after the last update early this fall to 4.2.2. I found a fix- I unmounted my external sd card while the tablet was running on AC power. Then I cycled 3-4 normal shutdowns (not reboots/restarts) while staying on AC power. I was able to put the sd card back in and continued to get a normal successful shutdown. Then I was able to get the lated firmare update to install successfully which does fix this issue...

I was having the exact same problem with my galaxy tab 2 10.1 and I followed the fix given by cahls - it worked immediately and solved both problems (a) shutdown failure and (b) update failure. Great simple fix, THANK YOU cahls!! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones