Tab casting

Last Updated: 2013-10-24 15:28:51
  1. wyndslash

wyndslash Well-Known Member

I've read on several android sites that you can still cast local video files to chromecast by playing the movie on the chrome browser itself. It works on the chrome browser on my sister's mac, but it doesn't work on my chrome on windows! :confused:

I don't know what's wrong. When I open the plugins window, it says I have vlc and divx web player plugin, but videos still download instead of open on my chrome browser.

Would love to get some real help.

Advertisement
  2. mrhomiec

mrhomiec Well-Known Member

are you testing out the same videos? or the same codec videos?

i make sure all my videos are h.264 as well as .mp4/.m4v files. just playing extra safe.
  3. bjacks12

bjacks12 Well-Known Member

Mine will open but not play. It just shows the controls and tells you how long the video lasts, but it won't play. These are all .mp4
  4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I *think* that the way it works is that it's not what codecs your desktop recognizes, it's which codecs the Chromecast itself likes.

I'll post back with the list.

No, I was wrong - if it plays on your desktop in Chrome, it'll *usually* tab cast.

mp4 is a container file type. H.264 is a codec.

Container files have at least two things they contain - video and audio, each part encoded with a specific codec.
  5. EarlyMon

6. EarlyMon

I read on XDA that you can install Plex as a media server, then get the myPlex Chrome extension, and "Right click on the plex file in chrome and copy url and paste it in address bar."

Evidently, sometimes audio codecs are the problem when tab casting fails and that can fix it.
    KOLIO likes this.
  7. EarlyMon

KOLIO likes this.
  8. FitchVA

FitchVA Well-Known Member

I use Plex at home and there is a much simpler way of using Plex. At least through a laptop and casting the Chrome browser tab to the Chromecast. Once you have Plex configured, you can easily browse your library via a web page as well as view the movies. There isn't any copy/paste of URLs involved.
    KOLIO likes this.
  9. legalkill

legalkill Well-Known Member

If its an AVI you can try to rename the AVI to MPEG and then chrome may play it without converting.

UDATE: Chrome will play but when i tried to cast the video it was just a black screen on the tv, while the video was playing on PC in chrome.

OH well convert it is.