Tab for BUSINESS 1st thoughts?

Last Updated:

1. sjjones

sjjones Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know theres a thread for 1st thoughts regarding the Tab, but i use my ipad for work. Looking for anyone using the TAB for Business, doc creating, both excel and word, viewing PDF's etc etc

Is there a print app?

Is the TAB viable as a replacement for a laptop/ipad at this stage? strickly as a business tool.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. AndroidTabletFan

AndroidTabletFan Well-Known Member

Well I have docs to go installed on mine and find it easy to create and edit documents just on Swype. I've done both word and excel docs on it now.

With a bluetooth keyboard it's even easier. For example, I'm editing this post with an apple wireless keyboard.

One thing that's both good and bad, the screen is smaller than on the ipad, but it's also easier to carry around. Once the Jorno keypad comes out it will be even more portable.

3. sjjones

Ease to carry for me has never been an issue with the ipad, its really no bigger then any notebook i ever carried.

so is typing an issue where if you had to type up a "quotation" on the fly you really have to have a BT keyboard? do you think the BT apple keyboard would work?

4. AndroidTabletFan

See above for keyboard answer. As far as typing and using quotes, its not bad on the swype keyboard either.

5. Tech Addiction

Tech Addiction Well-Known Member

In land scape this is easier then an Ipad to type on since you can use your thumbs while holding it in two hands without streching. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking an Ipad into a Buffalo Wild Wings but I wouldn't hesitate to take the Tab in and not look silly doing it. In fact it would be a great Football companion when going to a Sports Bar watching the game. I also have my Military Email coming into mine which is great. I get to cut the cords. In the car this is hands down the best GPS you will ever own. If only someone would release the Car Mount for this thing and maybe the Keyboard Dock since it has Android specific keys like home and menu.

6. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

Wireless printing but so far only certain Tab versions seems to be working. Or it could be certain printers ( like brand for example). we dont know the full picture but we do know that it has this feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG8-QEyXXTM

sjjones likes this.
  7. AndroidTabletFan

Arrgghh!

Darn it. Now I want one of those printers. :(

8. Tech Addiction

I have a network printer but it's not wifi. I guess you have to have a wifi printer for this to work?

9. sjjones

Love that print vid, will have to check if the sprint version comes with that app, already have a wireless HP printer hopefully will work with it.

10. AndroidTabletFan

Unfortunatly yes.

Tech Addiction likes this.
  11. rmjdees

rmjdees Member

printershare (in market) works with some printers that are networked. It's free to test if your printer is compatible ($4.95 for the full version).

I have a Brother laser printer that I have been printing to with printershare. the printer has wireless, but I turned wireless off and have it connected via ethernet to my network. The tab is over wireless.

12. Tech Addiction

I love Android Forums.

Edit: Just tried it and it works flawless. Thanks a lot.

13. AndroidTabletFan

Unfortunatly that won't work with my printer. I buy them based on the cost of the ink you see.

I wonder how much a little portable wireless one would cost? Better do some research into that...

14. Tech Addiction

15. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

It comes with an app to create and edit word documents too

16. binaryhellstorm

binaryhellstorm Well-Known Member

Actually there is a work around for this. If it is a network printer and you have access to at least one workstation or server on that network, you can use this work around.
    Print Files on Your Printer from Any Phone or Remote Computer via Dropbox

The short of it is that you upload the file that you want to print to a folder on your Dropbox account and a small script on your workstation monitors your Dropbox for changes, any files that go into the Print folder on your drop box, it will print, then remove the file from that folder. I personally have used this and it works great. I can easily and very quickly print files from my Motorola Milestone, I haven't tried it from my Galaxy Tab yet but I can, I see no reason it wouldn't work though. It is also very fast, I really expected this to be laggy but I can hear the laser print start to print my documents within about 5-10 seconds of when I upload it.

17. rm2092

rm2092 Well-Known Member

For printing try this if you have a HP E printer create a new contact in your Gmail and make the contact name HP Printer, use its email address in the contact info then save then just take your email from your Tab and forward it to the HP email addy in the contacts list.

18. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

When using a bluetooth keyboard, does the onscreen keyboard still appears for you too?

19. phone*guy

phone*guy Well-Known Member

2 of us at the office have the Galaxy Tab (Sprint)...Both of us have been having problems opening Office files (Word & Excel)...More than 1/2 the time they wont open and we get a file corrupted error. Samsung tech support is "working on it".......Other than that I really like my tab and find myself leaving the laptop in the office when I hit the road.

20. Guitar4him

Guitar4him Well-Known Member

What app are you using to open these documents?

Ken

21. phone*guy

phone*guy Well-Known Member

We've had the same results with both Think Free and Docs to Go.