• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tab S 10.5 screen freezing

shieldsdb

Lurker
Dec 12, 2011
Been having a major problem with the screen freezing. Not freezing to the point where you can't turn the tablet off. When it does freeze, I simple hit the power button, unlock it and its fine...for a little while. It was doing it before the lollipop update, but it is worse now. It's safe to say that it freezes every five minutes or so. I did a factory reset on it last night, it was freezing before I could reinstall any of my apps.

Screenshot_2015-06-19-23-11-21.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Squiggly
I just bought my Tab S second hand, and mine is freezing also. I've done 2 full factory resets, cleared the cache, and tried a different SD card. No change. It freezes, I lock and unlock it, and it works for a bit. The freezes seem to happen when I'm scrolling. The scrolling is also doing an odd thing. It will sometimes scroll and then suddenly jump back up to the top of the page. This other scrolling issue could just be me - or is it?

Upvote 0
Same thing is happening to me. My brother got his second hand and now I have it. I have tried doing a kies factory reset and regular factory reset but same thing still happens. Would like to flash another Rom just to see if that would fix the issue but I have a US Cellular tab s and I have not seen a confirmation that you can root them.

Upvote 0
Ive had nothing but issues with this tab. First issues was the tab rebooting itself when it hit 100% chargebut the looping the boot screen. Had to pop off the back so many goddamn times now that its all scratched up. And NOW it loves to start freezing randomly.

My receipts are gone and I rooted this stupid tab. If I unroot it will Best Buy still fix anything? I bought it last June

Upvote 0
I have been having the same problems with my 10.5. Found a simple answer on another forum that many people had luck with. The problem seems to happen in power saving mode. Turn off power saving and reboot. Yes, I was using power saving. Here's hoping! Wanted to share asap because this is so annoying. I will edit if it doesn't work.

Edit: DID NOT work! Also tried "Safe mode" sti) having screnn freezes and it takes a really long time for it to force quit.:-(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Has anyone found a solution to this issue? I have Lollipop 5.0.2 and the screen freezes every few seconds. I have to press the power button off and on to unfreeze, which lasts only a few seconds again.

I purchased this tablet used on Ebay. The tablet had an older version of the OS and the tablet had no issues what so ever, then I received an OTA update, which resulted in this issue.

Upvote 0
I have been having the same problems with my 10.5. Found a simple answer on another forum that many people had luck with. The problem seems to happen in power saving mode. Turn off power saving and reboot. Yes, I was using power saving. Here's hoping! Wanted to share asap because this is so annoying. I will edit if it doesn't work.

Edit: DID NOT work! Also tried "Safe mode" sti) having screnn freezes and it takes a really long time for it to force quit.:-(

did you find any solution?

Upvote 0
Mine is still working 100% since I got rid of chrome. Same thing with my wife's Kindle fire. She had nothing but trouble, got rid of Chrome and now it works fine. I'm happy as can be now, I use my Tab S every day.
Still didn't work, I've tried so many times formatting, deleting chrome, deleting other apps or disabling them. Nothing works, it just freezes.

I cant even get it to Samsung to repair it because it's bought off of Ebay.

Upvote 0
Mine is still working 100% since I got rid of chrome. Same thing with my wife's Kindle fire. She had nothing but trouble, got rid of Chrome and now it works fine. I'm happy as can be now, I use my Tab S every day.

I started having this problem in Feb 2017. LTE/Sprint/Snapdragon 800 version. Exactly the same symptoms. I tried removing Chrome (well just uninstalling updates as I can't remove built-in apps?), nothing worked, nothing fixed it. I tried toggling ALL of the Display settings, no difference.

I wish Samsung would fix, I love this tablet otherwise.

I am not sure, but it may be doing it less later at night, when it is cooler. I wonder if it is overheating during the warmer time of day.

How can we get Samsung to notice...will they even care about a 3 year old tablet??

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with my Galaxy S - 10.5 freezing, slow, rebooting, in the middle of a program or just browsing. I did a factor reset x3 dumped cache deleted programs nothing help final took it to Best Buy there reloaded OS and so call did a check. Took it home still have the same issue, was told if problem continued to buy a new tablet by Samsung techs.

Upvote 0
Been having a major problem with the screen freezing. Not freezing to the point where you can't turn the tablet off. When it does freeze, I simple hit the power button, unlock it and its fine...for a little while. It was doing it before the lollipop update, but it is worse now. It's safe to say that it freezes every five minutes or so. I did a factory reset on it last night, it was freezing before I could reinstall any of my apps.

View attachment 89557
same isuue brother anyone found solution???
its board fault or panel fault please confrm????

Upvote 0
Tried reset to factory settings, deleted download apps. Cleaned cashe, reloaded software update took it to Samsung stand at Best Buy, reinstalled update again, was told to buy a new tablet. Is there absolutely no fix for this issue out there for tablet out there ? Thank you Mike
My wife's US Cellular version has the same problem. It seemed to get worse after the Marshmallow update. It was on 5.0.2 when I bought it off eBay. Has anyone rooted their tablet? I'm going to do it since the thing is almost worthless now, although it will play full length movies just fine.

Upvote 0
I have same freezing every five minuts issue i tried to soft reset,hard reset,downgrad to kitkat & lollipop but nothing solve i have now 6.0 but same issue i checked ribbons but same issue please if anyone know its board issue or panel issue i need 100% confrmed answere.i am sure its hardware issue not softwere.thanks and sorry for bad english

Upvote 0
I rooted the tablet today and have started disabling or uninstalling the Samsung bloatware. So far, it has not cured the problem. I'm starting to believe that it's a hardware rather than a software issue. The fact that the freezing has gotten much worse since we bought it seems to support that. My wife is so annoyed that she's ready to buy an iPad (gasp!) I wanted her to get the new Tab A but she doesn't want anything to do with Samsung (even though my S2 performs flawlessly).

Upvote 0
I rooted the tablet today and have started disabling or uninstalling the Samsung bloatware. So far, it has not cured the problem.
I used Titanium Backup to clear the entire cache. This may be only temporary but I browsed for 20-30 minutes after that without it locking up. That's the longest it's gone in months without a freeze. I don't know how long this "fix" will last. Plus the TB cache clearing process takes about 5 minutes so it's not practical to do it often. I have installed a couple other cache cleaning apps and will try them next time it freezes.

Upvote 0
The freezing seems to only occur with the LTE versions, not the wifi only versions (if someone with a wifi-only version has the problem, please chime in.) I rooted my US Cellular version then discovered there are no aftermarket ROMs for this model. I made this discovery after wiping the system with TWRP because I had a ROM I was told would work (worked on the T-Mobile version but not mine). Anyway I had to restore the stock MM system and used the tablet for well over an hour after restoring it with no lockups or freezes.

Update: day 2 after operating system restore. The freezing continues although not as frequently as before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones