Last Updated:

1. Yaksha

Yaksha Well-Known Member

Future Snapdragon Android Devices to Get Netflix

It's not looking good, unfortunately.

Advertisement
  2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

Chris from playon support just confirmed to me via email any android device running 2.2 and above and is compatible with adobe flash will work.

the Xoom will be compatible.

Mitchrapp likes this.
  3. zetroc

zetroc Well-Known Member

PlayOn is an alternative, but when comparing this device to others that stream Netflix natively, and without the need to buy an $80 application, this device looks a tad less appealing considering it will be running state of the art components...
  4. ckeegan

ckeegan Well-Known Member

I honestly could care less about NetFlix support with Google's video service likely coming in the next few months.
  5. melantus

melantus Well-Known Member

Because who's fault is it that Xoom won't have this application? Sure isn't motorola fault the xoom is more than able to stream movies. Your blaming the wrong people. Netflix needs to realise that there are FAR easier ways to pirate movies than on a tablet or phone.
    marctronixx likes this.
  6. Yaksha

Yaksha Well-Known Member

It's not even Nexflix's fault. They have license agreements with studios who require a certain amount of DRM be implemented in order for the studio to give Netflix permission to stream the movies. Blame the MPAA.
  7. marctronixx

i blame corporate greed...

and in regards to DRM,

if you outlaw freedom only outlaws will have the freedom...
    Raptor912 likes this.
  8. Raptor912

Raptor912 Well-Known Member

I am down with being an outlaw! :D I love freedom!
    marctronixx likes this.
  9. zetroc

zetroc Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't come across right. I'm not blaming Motorola, like I said, the device is running state of the art components. But unfortunately for customers like me, if Netflix is that big of a priority, then the inability of running Netflix on the XOOM may in fact make the XOOM less appealing, regardless of who is to blame. The truth remains, the XOOM cannot stream Netflix's instant cue. I am still very drawn to it, and will likely get it, I just need to get over the absence of Netflix. And need the release to get here, and the WiFi version to be available for me to purchase lol. Sadness.
  10. marctronixx

well there is a workaround in place to get netflix. a one time additional cost workaround, but a workaround nonetheless.. so you are not totally without netflix streaming. netflix has not been ruled out totally just yet.. :)
  11. melantus

melantus Well-Known Member

Exactly tegra cpu havent been x out yet.
  12. Mitchrapp

Mitchrapp Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    marctronixx likes this.
  13. Mitchrapp

Mitchrapp Well-Known Member

Not too worried about a Netflix app, I do have it on the PS3 so not the end of the world for me.

And you pay a little bit for PlayOn but not much but you get much more than just Netflix. And they have some great plugins. It's quite the hoopla ;).
    marctronixx likes this.
  14. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

Patience is a virtue. Who expects the first generation of a tablet and operating system to reach its full potential on day one?
  15. rjoudrey

It will be interesting to see what apps actually show up in the Market. Tablet optimized or all?
  16. BoozeRob

BoozeRob Well-Known Member

Is there a list of apps optimized for honeycomb?
  17. Don S

Don S Well-Known Member

They all will. Google has said all current apps can run (but may not be optimized yet) on Honeycomb.
  18. RickInHouston

RickInHouston Well-Known Member

If you have bought an app, say SplashID for all your passwords, for your phone - do you have to purchase it again for the Xoom?

How does that work?
  19. Aookay

Aookay Well-Known Member

Nope! It is attached to your Google account, so as long as you sign in with that account, you can just re download anything you purchased :)
    RickInHouston likes this.
  20. Jensen

Jensen Well-Known Member

21. rjoudrey

When I was running Honeycomb on my Nook most apps ran just fine.
  22. Zykhan

Zykhan Member

Found this during my search on this issue

"Netflix is using the Tegra 2 development platform to bring the Netflix experience to Android super phones and tablets. We're working closely with NVIDIA to ensure Netflix takes full advantage of Tegra's outstanding acceleration and security capabilities." -- Greg Peters, Vice President, Product Development at Netflix
    NVIDIA Tegra Super Chip Kicks Up Next Wave of Super Phones - NVIDIA Newsroom
  23. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Well-Known Member

Exactly. In the end it took Moto Droid quite a while to come to fruition, it wasn't the best right out the gate.

Give the Xoom some time, the current problems, flash/4g ship upgrade are minor and I could care less about them.
  24. redshift1

redshift1 Well-Known Member

Is the Kindle app working correctly? Has anyone tried it?.