• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tablet closest to the HTC flyer?

Snow_Fox

Android Expert
Mar 31, 2010
So apparently HTC isn't making the flyer anymore as I can't get one in bestbuy and there is no option to have one shipped to me or sent to the store.

I really liked the way the HTC Flyer felt, I liked how smooth the interface was.. and the pen (although I am not to artistic) was a really nice feature..

I was just wondering if there were any tablets in that 300$ and under price range that had the same feel and smoothness.

THinking about the Nook Tab, but wanting to know what the options are first..

I tend to view the Flyer as a giant HTC smartphone and the 3G version of it, definitely acts one. The 3G version is quite expensive and can set you as much as any top end no contract smartphone these days.

I would say, for 7" and just over $300, get the Acer Iconia A100. Unlike Flyer, this is a true Honeycomb OS tablet. Honeycomb UI is a step toward ICS and I like the interface more than Sense. Also this tablet feels very fast, and while it is dual core, it seems faster than most dual core devices. This is an indication the software is working great on this thing. Note the Flyer is still a single core device, even though it is a 1.5GHz one.

Reactions: xmr405o
Upvote 0
I tend to view the Flyer as a giant HTC smartphone and the 3G version of it, definitely acts one. The 3G version is quite expensive and can set you as much as any top end no contract smartphone these days.

I would say, for 7" and just over $300, get the Acer Iconia A100. Unlike Flyer, this is a true Honeycomb OS tablet. Honeycomb UI is a step toward ICS and I like the interface more than Sense. Also this tablet feels very fast, and while it is dual core, it seems faster than most dual core devices. This is an indication the software is working great on this thing. Note the Flyer is still a single core device, even though it is a 1.5GHz one.

+1 on the a100. I'd also take the archos 80 G9 over the flyer.

ARCHOS 80 G9 Tablet

Upvote 0
After reading the specs rankings in the Dec. issue of Consumer Reports I narrowed it down to three for further research reading reviews from tech sites Since I knew that I wanted a 7" tab, the Flyer was one. The other two were the Samsung Galaxy and the Acer Iconia. These were the ones with the most desirable features, ports, capabilities, etc.

The Galaxy was significantly higher in price so I was leaning more towards the Flyer primarily due to price with the Acer Iconia a very close second. Practically a tie.

When I found the Iconia A100 available at Best Buy for less than $200, I jumped on it. The main knocks against it in tech site reviews were battery life and narrow max viewing angle, both of which are not major issues for me personally.

I would agree that it comes closest to being the Flyer (actually better than).

I like how it looks and feels. I would have preferred a grippier surface on the back so will prob. skin it.

But overall, I'm quite happy with it.

Upvote 0
I've read the a100 has really bad viewing angles.. and I'm scared to pay 300$ without trying one out.. but, there is no place I can do so locally.

I have to admit.. I am not usually one to be a sucker for "luxury" but, the flyer had a really nice feel to it, it was really faster and it was really, really premium..

I mean it felt nicer at 300$ to me than the ipad 2 did at 500$

Upvote 0
I've tested both of these tablets and I like the flyer. It seems faster, whether that is because honeycomb is slow or the single core is just play faster I am not sure.

The flyer has a better feel to the hardware and like I said, with the quicker UI seems like the better tablet. I actually have a Galaxy 8.9 and a flyer and I am trying to decide which to return. Same holds true for the Galaxy vs the flyer, honeycomb is just slower. I'm not really sure what honeycomb buys me other than being closer to ICS, but so what?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones