• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tablet connects to router, with 'excellent' signal, and 72Mbps, BUT doesn't connect to internet.

G

Graham Sanders

All our other devices are working fine with our router, but my wife's new generic tablet has decided not to, after a week of working perfectly. When we went back to the shop, it connected to their router immediately and went online. We came home and it connected immediately and went online. However after a couple of hours, it showed as being connected to the router, but with the exclamation mark denoting no access...

The tablet is sold in France as the Selecline 861894 / MIDI11Q9L.
About Tablet says it's model number S3T10IN (it has a 10" screen).

QuadCore-A33.
Android 5.1.1.
Security WPA/WPA2 PSK (as are at least two of our other devices).

Is there anything my wife might have accidentally switched off, or suchlike, please?

Hair is being torn out here. Any straightforward advice would be appreciated - I'm not a techie, but i can follow instructions!

Thanks.

gs

The tablet may not be getting an IP address from the router for some reason. You could look at the status under Settings/About device while connected to your router and see if it shows a valid IP address. If you know how to get into the router settings you can check there as well to see if the tablet is shown as a connected device with an assigned IP. Make sure it's not being blocked by any restrictions set up in the router such as a MAC address list.

Upvote 0
Try removing the router Wifi information from your device, then reboot the device and put the router Wifi information back in to the device as when you first installed it, then try connecting to browser functions. I had a Toshiba laptop that have done that and a couple more devices but this is what solved the instability issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The tablet may not be getting an IP address from the router for some reason. You could look at the status under Settings/About device while connected to your router and see if it shows a valid IP address. If you know how to get into the router settings you can check there as well to see if the tablet is shown as a connected device with an assigned IP. Make sure it's not being blocked by any restrictions set up in the router such as a MAC address list.
Thank you for this. The problem here, though, is that the router is just a box on the shelf to us! Certainly the tablet is looking for an IP address, but I have no idea where I would go to find the router settings. If you could possibly point me in the right direction, I'll hunt them down, please!

Upvote 0
Often you point your browser at an IP address, which might be something like 192.168.0.1 and that should show you the router's admin pages, after you've logged-in. Exact details will be in your router's instruction manual.

Also depending on the particular router, and possibly how it's setup, you may have to use a wired Ethernet connection from a computer to access the admin stuff. That's if admin by WiFi is turned off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I doubt you should be focusing too much attention on your router as it has been working fine with your other devices and it was working OK with your Selecline tablet for a week or so before your tablet started to act up. Also your router was working out with your tablet for a couple of hours that second time around. Those are all indicators your tablet is having some problems, not your router. If your other devices were also having similar, intermittent connectivity issues and/or your tablet wouldn't ever get working connection that would be a different matter.

Don't know anything about Selecline tablets but the first thing you might want to try is start it up in its Safe Mode. When an Android device is in Safe Mode it's only running the Android operating system as is, no third-party apps or processes are loaded. Note that when in Safe Mode it is a little awkward to do things as everything you do is starting up from its
'cold' state, nothing gets pre-loaded. But if you're online connectivity is OK in Safe Mode that indicates there's some installed app that's causing your problems.
If running in Safe Mode doesn't help reveal any problems, you could try restarting your Selecline into its Recovery Mode. Once running in Recovery, select the option to clear the system cache partition. The system cache partition is different than regular app caches and it's separate from the partition where your personal data is stored so wiping it won't affect your files. Chances are this step won't fix your WiFi connectivity problem but just on a remote chance it will it won't hurt anything to do it.
Again I'm not familiar with the Selecline brand so I can't be more specific on what you need to do to get into Safe Mode or Recovery Mode. Hopefully you have a manual that refers to those things?

One last suggestion might be to give that Selecline tablet a reserved IP address. This does need to be done through your router's settings but maybe assigning that tablet with its own IP address will allow it to have more stable connectivity. You mentioned you're a bit averse to re-configuring your router so maybe it's better to have someone more tech savvy come in and do this for you? Or if you'd prefer to get more familiar with your home network here's a somewhat lengthy guide on setting one up. It's getting a little dated but the basic principles are the most important thing, specifics will always vary from one household to the next.
https://lifehacker.com/5833254/know-your-network-the-complete-guide

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones